Boston Youth Poet Laureate
Our new program is aligned with the work of the Boston Poet Laureate program. The City established the Poet Laureate program in 2008 to highlight literary arts and promote poetry.
The Youth Poet Laureate will act as an advocate for poetry, language, and the arts. They will create a unique artistic legacy through public readings and civic events. The mission of the Youth Poet Laureate is to raise the status of poetry in the everyday lives of Bostonians.
The deadline to apply for Boston Youth Poet Laureate is November 25 at 5 p.m.
Eligibility and duties
- Present appropriate works at civic events and attend official functions as a literary ambassador
- Enhance current Boston Public School and Boston Public Library poetry programs through engagement and outreach
- Act as a resource during National Poetry Month each April
- Work in harmony with the City of Boston Poet Laureate
- Represent Boston in local and possibly national Youth Poet Laureate competitions
- You must be 13 - 18 years old.
- You need to have lived in the City of Boston for at least one year.
- You must display a strong commitment to the community.
- You have to be able and enthusiastic to fulfill the duties of the position.
The Youth Poet Laureate serves a maximum of two, two-year terms. They will receive:
- $500 per year
- mentoring by the City of Boston Poet Laureate, and
- a published collection of their poems.