Analytics Summer Fellowships
Through the Analytics Summer Fellowship, you’ll work with the City to improve how Boston uses data every day.
Our fellows play a vital role in developing special projects for the Analytics Team, including:
- piloting new technologies
- developing new tools, and
- testing innovating approaches to solving problems.
Questions? Contact Stefanie Costa Leabo:
- The deadline to apply is 5 p.m. on December 29, 2017.
- We hold phone interviews in January, with final candidate interviews in February.
- The expected start date is Monday, June 11, 2018.
The deadline to apply is 5 p.m. on December 29, 2017.
Some of our team's greatest achievements have started out as fellow projects. We're looking for new talents and ideas to help us discover what's next.
Please email your cover letter and resume* to Stefanie Costa Leabo (firstname.lastname@example.org). Remember to add the subject line "2018 Analytics Summer Fellowship."
*Your resume should be two pages or less. This includes a section summarizing your technical skills.
We’re looking for fellows to join the team to work in a range of areas. This includes data science, analytics, performance management, GIS, and data engineering. We will consider you for projects that best fit for your qualifications.
In all these roles, you will apply and develop your skills while working on important projects. Some examples of projects from our 2017 fellows include:
- exploring and understanding patterns in housing evictions
- rethinking the way we interact with residents through our 311 system
- evaluating the potential impact of structure and staffing changes on parking enforcement
- developing an inventory of businesses to assess the quality of our data, and
- prototyping a new digital interface for research on health throughout the City.
- comfortable working with data
- have strong written and verbal communication skills, and
- excel at building relationships.
You should be excited to tackle difficult problems, and love learning new skills. We want someone who embraces complex and dynamic challenges. You’ll be juggling multiple projects, and working in an open and collaborative environment.
This internship is open to both undergraduate and graduate students in any major. But, we prefer applicants with technical or quantitative majors.What is the selection process?
We will let selected applicants know ahead of our planned phone interviews in January. We will hold final candidate interviews in February.
This is an eight-week internship, with an expected start date of Monday, June 11, 2018. This date is subject to change. We’ll let you know the start date if you’re picked.Is this a paid internship?
Yes! We provide direct funding for a limited number of fellowships. We also encourage applicants with university or grant funding to apply. Please let us know in your cover letter if you expect to have outside funding.
The City’s Analytics Team uses data and technology to make life better for everyone who lives and works in Boston. The group was founded in 2015. Mayor Walsh created our team with the goal of developing innovative programs and improving performance across the City.
Our work affects many of Boston's greatest challenges. We tackle everything from public health and education to transit access and economic mobility. We also play a major role in big City initiatives, such as Imagine Boston 2030 and Vision Zero.
We support departments throughout the City with our tools, infrastructure, and expertise. We want staff behind every City program to make data a central part of their workflow.