Before you get started
Our grants are for projects that benefit the public. We give groups and individuals money for either general operating expenses or project costs depending on their budget size. The largest amount we’ll award is $5,000. We’ll match up to half the cost of your project.
You have one year from the date we approve you to finish your project and get the grant money from us. If you get denied, you can only ask us to consider you again if we violated the review process. You have two weeks to submit your request in writing.
You can apply for the grant for the following art categories:
- film and video
- folk and traditional art
- visual art
- literary arts
- performance or time-based arts
- social and civic practices, and
- multi-disciplinary arts.
Fill out your application
Please read the application guidelines before you apply. We won't take applications that are missing information.
Fill out your grant application online. The application will be available here once it has been posted. Applicants must also fill out the Massachusetts Cultural Council portion of the application, which can be found on their website. We also link to it in the Boston Cultural Council application.
Give us your application
Your application must be submitted online by October 17, 2016. We won’t take late applications. We'll let you know if we plan to give you the grant in January.
As you prepare to apply, please remember these important dates:
- September 1: We publish the grant guidelines and application for that year.
- September 29: Grant workshop will be held at the Strand Theatre, 543 Columbia Road, Dorchester from 3 - 4:30 p.m.
- October 11: Grant workshop will be held at the Mattapan Library, 1350 Blue Hill Avenue, Mattapan from 6 - 7:30 p.m.
- October 13: Grant workshop will be held at the Tobin Community Center, 1481 Tremont Street, Roxbury from 6 - 7:30 p.m.
- October 17: Applications are due at 5 p.m.
- October - November: We will hold voting meetings that are open to the public. Times, dates and locations will be posted once they have been scheduled.
- January: We will publish the grant award winners.