Bikes and businesses in the City
The awards recognize Boston-based businesses and educational institutions for taking steps to be more bike friendly. The actions of these individual businesses help to improve the climate for cycling across Boston. Congratulations to the 2015 Award recipients!
Ways to qualify
- Install outdoor bike racks
- Offer employees a guaranteed ride home
- Offer bike commuters financial incentives
- Give bike commuters informational support
- Participate in Bike Week and Bike Friday
- Organize walk/ride days for the office
- Make bike tools and a pump available for employee use
- Make your building bike accessible
- Enter a team in Hub on Wheels
- Provide shower facilities for employees who commute by bike
- Offer employees bike training sessions
- Sign up for a Hubway Corporate Membership or provide company owned bikes to share
- Install secure, covered bike parking
- Do something else that’s creative and awesome to support and encourage your employees and customers to bike to you instead of drive
Why Employers Should Support Biking
Commuters select their travel mode based on travel time, convenience, and the need for trips during the day. For distances of less than five miles, the bicycle is a very practical alternative. Additionally, employees who care about their health, the environment, or saving money will ride from ten or more miles away.
If you can answer “yes” to one or more of the following questions, then promoting bicycle commuting at your business is probably worth the effort.
- Does your company support innovative ideas that improve employee health, well being, and morale?
- Is your company situated in a bike-friendly land-use environment?
- Is automobile access to your work site congested?
- Are a prescribed or limited number of parking spaces available for your company?
- Do any of your employees currently bicycle for transportation or recreation?
- Are your employees interested in a physically fit, active lifestyle?
- Are there people in your company who are concerned about the environment?
- Do you have employees who live within five miles of work?