Before you get started
Any couple can get married as long as each person is 18 or older, and currently not married.Please keep in mind
A marriage license is only good to use for 60 days in Massachusetts from the date you applied. You also can't use the marriage license outside of Massachusetts. You have to get married in the state.
Go to City Hall
You and your partner need to fill out the Marriage Intention form together at City Hall. Be prepared to each give the following information to the City:
- valid identification (this includes passports, driver's licenses, state IDs, or military IDs)
- your Social Security numbers (if you do not have a Social Security number, you have to write down why — for example, it was never issued or you are not a resident)
- your legal names, and what last name you will use after marriage
- where you both live now
- your dates of birth and where you were born
- the names of your parents, including maiden names, and whether or not your parents were married when you were born
- if you were previously married, we will need to know how many times, and
- if you were previously married, we need to know the date you were divorced or see your annulment papers.
We charge a $50 application fee. We take cash, a money order, or a debit or credit card.
Fill out your application and pay your fee at the Registry Division:
1 City Hall Square, Room 213
Boston, MA 02201-2006
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Wait three days
There is a three day waiting period from when you file your Marriage Intention to when you can pick up your Marriage License.
You will be given a white card with the date when you can get your license at City Hall.
If you want to waive the waiting period, a court needs to give you Marriage Without Delay Waiver to waive the waiting period. They will charge you a $195 fee. When you file your Marriage Intention form, ask us about which court you need to go to.
Pick up your marriage license
You must get the license before the wedding and give it to the person performing your ceremony. The license is only good to use for 60 days from the date you applied.
To register your marriage, the person performing your ceremony needs to complete the license and return it to the City.
Schedule your wedding ceremony
To schedule your ceremony at City Hall, please call 617-635-4600.
You can schedule your wedding ceremony from 10 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. and
2 - 3:15 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. There are no wedding appointments on Wednesdays.
Prepare for your visit
The wedding ceremony costs $75. If you are late, you will be charged an extra $25. We only accept cash.
The wedding ceremony will take about 15 minutes. You don’t need to bring any witnesses, but we can accommodate up to four guests. If you need an interpreter, please make arrangements to have one at your ceremony.
Also, please remember to bring your Marriage License with you to City Hall.
Arrive at City Hall early. If you’re late, we charge an extra $25. The City Clerk and Assistant City Clerk are Justices of the Peace and perform ceremonies at:
1 City Hall Square, Room 601
Boston, MA 02201-2014
Both people need to bring a valid picture ID, like a driver’s license or a passport.