Go to Boston City Hall
Both parties need to fill out the Marriage Intention Form together at Registry Division on the second floor of City Hall. Be prepared to provide the following information to the City:
- your social security numbers
- your legal names, and what last name you will use after marriage
- where you both live now
- your dates of birth and where you were born
- the names of your parents, including maiden names, and whether or not your parents were married when you were born, and
- if you were previously married, we need to know how many times. We also need to know the date you were divorced, widowed, or see your annulment papers.
We charge a $50 application fee. We take cash, a money order made payable to the City of Boston, or a debit or credit card.
Fill out your application and pay your fee at the Registry Division:
- 1 City Hall Square, Room 213
- Boston, MA 02201-2006
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Wait three days
There is a three-day waiting period from the time you file your Marriage Intention to when you can pick up your Marriage License. You will be given a white card with the date when you can get your license at City Hall.
If you want to waive the waiting period, a court needs to give you a Marriage Without Delay Waiver to eliminate the three-day waiting period. There is a $195 fee for this waiver. When you file your Marriage Intention Form, ask the Registry Department about which court you need to go to.
Pick up your marriage license
You must pick up the license before the wedding ceremony. Give the license to the City Clerk before your ceremony at City Hall. The license is only good for 60 days.
Prepare for your visit
The wedding ceremony costs $75. If you are late, you will be charged an extra $25. We only accept cash.
The wedding ceremony will take about 15 minutes. You don’t need to bring any witnesses, but we can accommodate up to four guests. If you need an interpreter, please make arrangements to have one at your ceremony.
Also, please remember to bring your Marriage License with you to City Hall.
Schedule your wedding ceremony
To schedule your ceremony, call 617-635-4600. You can schedule your wedding for any weekday except Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Arrive at City Hall early. If you’re late, we charge an extra $25. The City Clerk and Assistant City Clerk are Justices of the Peace and perform ceremonies at:
- 1 City Hall Square, Room 601
- Boston, MA 02201-2014
Both people need to bring a valid picture ID, like a driver’s license or a passport.