Food Justice Call for Artists
The Mayor’s Office of Food Justice (OFJ) invites artists to apply to work with OFJ on two art installations. OFJ will engage community residents in conversations around food justice and decreasing stigma around food resources. Artists will reflect these conversations as two public visual art installations at food access and growing sites.
We are currently selecting partners and sites. We are recruiting artists to lead either one or both projects.
About the Projects
Artists will work with community members to co-design and create both art installations. An OFJ staff member will lead 1-2 community conversations per art installation to help inform themes. Community members will be compensated for their time spent brainstorming themes. OFJ is hoping to use the projects to:
- reflect on what food justice and means to residents and
- decrease stigma around resources like food pantries.
- Budget: Up to $14,000 per project for supplies, community engagement sessions, and art supplies, design, and installation.
- Call Open: June 10, 2022
- Call Closes: July 1, 2022
Eligibility and Application
This Call to Artists is open to all artists at least 18 years of age with a strong preference for artists that currently live, work, or organize in Boston. We are especially interested in artists who have experience with creating lasting art in the public realm (such as murals, installations, banners) and community engagement.
Selection of the artist partner will also depend on fit with the two proposed projects, experience working with residents, and availability for community conversations in July and August.
The Mayor’s Office of Arts and Culture will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, or disability, nor will it fund projects that discriminate on these attributes.
Details on how to register for a City of Boston Vendor ID.
What you need To Apply
- Artist Statement: A few sentences that describe your artistic style.
- Community Engagement experience: Tell us about your experience creating lasting art in the public realm and community engagement processes.
- Artist work samples: Up to five images of your work that you feel are relevant to this project. One image per file; jpg, tiff, or MP4 file types. Limit videos to two minutes or less. Max 100 MG per file.
- Design: Artists must agree that murals or fence designs may be altered at any time by the City of Boston