COVID-19 information
For the latest updates, please visit our coronavirus (COVID-19) website:
City department hours
City Hall is open to the public on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. If you need to visit a department, you must make an appointment.
Back to top
Last updated:

Housing Stability Notification Act tenant information

If you are being evicted, the act requires your landlord to provide you with a Notice of Tenants’ Rights and Resources.  

This Notice of Tenants’ Rights and Resources should be delivered at the same time as:

  • the Notice to Quit, or
  • a Notice of Non-renewal of a Lease.

On this page, you can view the Notice and find out how to report your landlord.

We have information on what to do when facing an eviction in English, Español, Português, 中文, Français, Kriolu Kabuverdianu, Kreyòl ayisyen, Soomaali, русский, Tiếng Việt, or عربى.

Notice of Tenants' Rights and Resources

The Housing Stability Notification Act requires all landlords planning to end a tenancy agreement to provide the tenant with a Notice of Tenants’ Rights and Resources.

Reporting a Landlord

Follow these steps if your landlord did not deliver the Notice of Tenants' Rights and Resources with the Notice to Quit.

This information is also available in Español, Português, 中文, Français, Kriolu Kabuverdianu, Kreyòl ayisyen, Soomaali, русский, Tiếng Việt, or عربى.

Violations of the the act are investigated by the Office of Fair Housing and Equity. They are enforced by the Inspectional Services. Inspectional Services will issue a ticket to your landlord if the required information is not provided to you and you properly report the violation.

To issue a ticket, you will need to do the following:

  1. Call Fair Housing at 617-635-2500. Explain that you are calling to report a violation of the new Housing Stability Notification Act. You can also call 311 and ask for Fair Housing.
  2. Fair Housing may direct you to submit your information through an online intake form available on their website. If you are unable to use the online form, you may submit any required documents through the mail to: City of BostonOffice of Fair Housing and Equity1 City Hall Square, Rm. 966 Boston, MA 02201
  3. Provide Fair Housing with written proof of your tenancy. Proof includes your lease, rent receipts, or your name on a Notice to Quit or court complaint. Other items proving your tenancy may be accepted.
  4. Provide Fair Housing with a copy of the Notice to Quit or Court Complaint. They will also need your landlord or property manager’s contact information.

Unless otherwise provided, a person or entity violating any provisions of this Ordinance shall be punishable by a warning or fine in accordance with the provisions of City of Boston Ordinances and/or Boston City Charter, shown below.

Housing Stability Notification Act (Sec. 10-11.7)
Enforcement Entity: Inspectional Services Department
1st Offense: Warning
2nd and Subsequent Offenses: $300 per day

If a landlord violates the act, it DOES NOT halt the eviction process.