Coronavirus information
For the latest updates, please visit our coronavirus (COVID-19) website:
Coronavirus updates
Back to top
Last updated:

Plans, reports, and notices

The Policy Development and Research Division manages plans with the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Find out how we work with them to fund our programs.

Each year, we get federal grants that we use to develop housing in the City of Boston. To get funding, we have to give the Department of Housing and Urban Development a report and our plans for the year. We also manage notices about requirements for the City’s partner groups that want to apply for federal funding.

Still have questions? Contact:
Neighborhood Development
26 Court Street
8th, 9th, and 11th Floors
Boston, MA 02108-2501

Stay Connected

Sign up for periodic email updates about reports and housing policy.

Con plan with citizen participation

To apply for federal grants, we create a Plan for the City's development needs over five years. HUD reviewed and approved the plan in August of 2018.

Related documents

Consolidated Plan (July 2018 to June 2023)

Part I: Narratives 

Part II: Strategic Plan

Part III: Appendix

Action plan

We have to submit an Action Plan every year to the Department of Housing and Urban Development. The plan covers how we will use federal funds to fix the issues we talk about in our Consolidated plan.

We use the plan to apply for a number of federal programs, including:

  • the Community Development Block Grant program
  • the HOME Investment Partnerships program
  • the Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS, and
  • Emergency Solutions Grant.

Consolidated annual performance and evaluation report (CAPER)

We create a report at the end of each program year that describes what we've been able to accomplish with federal funding. We provide this report to the public, and to the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

CAPER:  Program Year 2018:  7/1/18 to 6/30/19


CAPER Archives


Employee participation plan

We review applications when Neighborhood Development employees want to use our homebuyer programs. Our goal is to make sure there is no conflict of interest. We limit employee participation to 5 percent of the available funding in a program to ensure access by the general public is not significantly limited.

We update the DND: Employee Participation Requests every year. You can also find a copy of this list at our Bid Counter: 

26 Court St., 10th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Notices for Housing and Urban Development applicants

To complete many grant applications, groups that are partners with the City first need to get their project certified by us. We make sure the project is consistent with the federal plans for the community where it’s located.

If you need to get certified for your project, please give us your application at least two weeks before the deadline for the federal funding application. Complete the Certificate of Consistency application and return it to:

Department of Neighborhood Development
Policy Development and Research
Attn: HUD Verification
26 Court St. 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02108

You can also email your application to Still have questions? You can reach Diane at 617-635-0243.

Depending on your situation, you may need to also fill out one or more of these documents:



Certificate of Consistency HUD 2991

You may need to give us a second application based on the type of program you are applying for.

Certificate of Consistency with Preferred Sustainable Community HUD 2995

Preferred Sustainability Status Communities

Some programs offer bonuses for projects that fit into a sustainability plan for a community. Boston has Preferred Sustainability Status.

Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice, AI

You may need to show how your project will address fair housing needs in the City. You’ll have to describe how you will overcome one or more of the issues cited in the City's Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing and Fair Housing Plan.

For more information, contact the Office of Civil Rights. Call 617-635-2540, or email: