Learn how the program works
We offer loans through our Additional Dwelling Unit Pilot Loan Program. The loans are interest-free and offer gap funding to eligible Boston homeowners who wish to create an ADU in their homes in the pilot areas of East Boston, Jamaica Plain, and Mattapan. To give you more background, we created a fact sheet for our program.
- You might qualify to receive a loan up to $30,000 for an ADU project to owners of single-to three family homes.
- We base the amount of your loan on the estimated cost of the project.
- The loan has no monthly payments and does not become due until the owner sells, transfers ownership, or undertakes a cash-out refinance of the home.
GET YOUR INFO TOGETHER
- You'll need to get a preliminary approval from the Inspectional Services Department (ISD) for your ADU plans before you can receive an ADU loan.
- Check eligibility requirement in the BPDA Zoning Viewer.
- Prepare a description of your ADU.
- Take pictures of current space.
- Get a cost estimate.
- Create preliminary designs and drawings of your ADU.
Please print out and complete the application for ADU Pilot Loan Program
MAIL US YOUR APPLICATION
You can send your completed application package to:
The Boston Home Center / ADU
26 Court St., 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
FINISH THE PROJECT AND PAY YOUR LOANS
You will be contacted by a program manager who will assist you through the process.
We'll give you a commitment letter and schedule a loan closing, if we approve your loan. Once you have closed on the loan, you can sign an agreement with your contractor and they can get a building permit.
You’ll need to give us a final invoice from your contractor and a copy of your building permit. We’ll set up a final walkthrough to make sure all the work was done.
You have to pay us back based on the terms of the loan.
The Additional Dwelling Unit Pilot Loan Program is part of the ADU Pilot Program, run by the Housing Innovation Lab. Learn more about the complete ADU Pilot program.