MBTA Youth Pass
We want to ensure that all young people in the City of Boston have access to the transportation they need. The MBTA Youth Pass program provides thousands of qualified young people, ages 12-25, with affordable transportation.
Learn more about the program and the application process below.
2022 MBTA Youth Pass
If you are re-enrolling or applying to the program for the first time, please click below.
The Youth Pass Program offers reduced fares on bus, subway, Commuter Rail, Express Bus, and ferry to cardholders. Youth Pass CharlieCards can be loaded with cash value for:
- roughly 50% reduced one-way fares, or
- $30 monthly LinkPasses for unlimited bus, subway, and Fairmount Line Zone 1A travel.
Monthly LinkPasses expire on the last day of each month. You can also use your card for reduced one-way fares on Commuter Rail and ferry.Card Expiration
The 2021 Youth Pass card is valid through October 31. You must complete the re-enrollment process each year as all cards will expire on November 1. Please use the link above to re-enroll for the 2022 Youth Pass.
Boston middle and high school students are eligible for a Student CharlieCard. Please reach out to your school for more information about receiving a Student Charlie Card. If you are between 12 and 18 years old and cannot get a Student CharlieCard (M7 Card or S-Card) through your school, you may be eligible for a Youth Pass.Non-Boston Residents
If you do not live in the City of Boston but would still like to receive a Youth Pass, please visit the MBTA website to see if you live in a participating city or town.
Applying for the programApplying for the program
There are three requirements you must meet to be eligible for an MBTA Youth Pass:
- You must live in the City of Boston
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 25
- You must be enrolled in a Youth Pass partner program, such as MassHealth, SNAP, Year Up, public housing, etc.
To apply, you’ll need documentation that shows your date of birth, address, and enrollment in a Youth Pass partner program.
You must upload documents in the application showing that you meet the three program eligibility requirements.
Proof of Age
- Birth certificate
- Photo ID (driver’s license, learner’s permit, state ID, or another photo ID issued by a government agency)
- Visa, residency, or immigration document
- A notarized affidavit from a parent or legal guardian
Proof of Address
- Photo ID (driver's license, learner’s permit, state ID)
- Utility or phone bill with your name, address, and issued within the last 90 days
- Signed lease agreement
- Bank statement, W-2, or pay stub
- Official school transcript, proof of enrollment, or tuition bill for current year
Proof of Partner Program
A list of MBTA partner programs & eligibility documents can be found here.
A full list of accepted documents can also be found in the application. Please remember you must upload documentation satisfying all relevant requirements.
All information about your application status and the next steps in the process will be sent to you via email. Please check your "spam" and "junk" folders to ensure you do not miss any emails with important details.
When your application is approved, you will receive an email confirmation. Your card will be mailed within 5 business days.