BCYF Family Gym
The Spring 2017 session of Family Gym was a great success! Families from neighborhoods across Boston came together and engaged in fun, physically active games. We are looking forward to our fall session and hope to reach even more families.
Family Gym Fall 2017 begins on Saturday, October 14 10-11:30 a.m. at:
- BCYF Blackstone Community Center in the South End
- BCYF Holland Community Center in Dorchester
- BCYF Madison Park Community Center in Roxbury
Download and share our flyer.
Saturdays, 10 - 11:30 a.m.
Have fun with us at Family Gym!
- Children and adults move at their own pace in supervised activities.
- We set up colorful play equipment to encourage individual, small, and large group play.
- Families can jump rope, play on an obstacle course, do the limbo, or play parachute games or sports.
- Drop-in, no pre-registration required.
- Required for caregiver to participate.
- Fun and safety are our priorities.
- Caregivers must remain in the gym with their children at all times.
- Northeastern University student volunteers serve as Student Activity Leaders.
Upcoming Family Gym Dates
Why Family Gym?
Early childhood obesity is a critical public health issue.
Family Gym’s target population is families in neighborhoods with high levels of obesity and limited or unsafe play space. There are moderate-to-vigorous physical activities, as well as educational activities focused on healthy eating. Both take place on a regular basis to promote healthy living!
According to the Boston Public Health Commission, over 26% of U.S. preschoolers are overweight or obese, and rates are even higher among low-income and minority children. By first grade, 34% of children in the Boston public school system have been identified as overweight or obese. By the time children reach first grade, important lifestyle habits have already been established that affect weight trajectories across the lifespan. Interventions that promote healthy eating and physical activity in the preschool years are essential to addressing obesity.
Family Gym is a program of Healthy Kids, Healthy Futures (HKHF), a collaborative, early childhood obesity prevention initiative founded in 2009 by a group of partners that includes Northeastern University, Boston Children’s Hospital, and Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF).
Family Gym would not be possible without the support of Boston Children’s Hospital which is enabling the program to run, BCYF for the access to gym space on Saturday mornings, and Northeastern University for the opportunity to work with student volunteers.