BCYF Family Gym
Family Gym is so much fun! Join together with families from neighborhoods across Boston for an engaging morning of fun, physically active games. We are always excited to welcome new families.Family Gym Fall 2019:
Family Gym takes place on Saturdays, October 5 - November 23, 2019
- BCYF Blackstone Community Center in the South End; 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- BCYF Gallivan Community Center in Mattapan; 10 - 11:30 a.m. (begins October 12)
- BCYF Holland Community Center in Dorchester; 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- BCYF Menino Community Center in Roslindale; 10 - 11:30 a.m., and
- BCYF Vine Street Community Center in Roxbury; 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Have fun with us at Family Gym!
- Children and adults move at their own pace in supervised activities.
- We set up colorful play equipment to encourage individual, small, and large group play.
- Families can jump rope, play on an obstacle course, do the limbo, or play parachute games or sports.
- Drop-in, no pre-registration required.
- Children of all abilities are welcome.
- Required for caregiver to participate.
- Fun and safety are our priorities.
- Caregivers must remain in the gym with their children at all times.
- Legal guardian must sign a waiver before child can participate.
- This is an immigrant safe space.
Upcoming Family Gym DatesUpcoming Family Gym Dates
There are no upcoming events available at this time.
Why Family Gym?
Early childhood obesity is a critical public health issue.
Family Gym’s target population is families in neighborhoods with high levels of obesity and limited or unsafe play space. The gym offers moderate-to-vigorous physical activities and educational activities focused on healthy eating. Both take place on a regular basis to promote healthy living!
According to the Boston Public Health Commission, more 26% of U.S. preschoolers are overweight or obese. Rates are even higher among low-income and minority children. By first grade, 34% of children in the Boston public school system have been identified as overweight or obese. By the time children reach first grade, important lifestyle habits have already been created. We need to promote healthy eating and physical activity in the preschool years to address obesity.
BCYF Family Gym is supported by a group of partners that includes:
- Northeastern University
- Boston Children’s Hospital, and
- Foundation for Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF).
Family Gym would not be possible without the support of these groups.