BCYF Summer Grants
Mayor Kim Janey and Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) are pleased to release the RFP for the 2021 BCYF Summer Grant. Nonprofit, youth-serving organizations and those using an eligible fiscal agent are invited to apply. The 2021 Summer Grant is in the amount of $5,000 or $10,000. Please read the eligibility and program requirements carefully as they have changed from past years.
Due to the impact of COVID-19, the 2020 BCYF Summer Grant was not offered.
We designed the 2021 Summer Grant to increase the number and variety of summer programs available to Boston youth. We want to ensure they have access to fun and safe opportunities for enrichment and personal development during the summer.
This year, you must submit your grant application online. Please complete all questions in the Submittable form. You can upload the following requested documentation provided on the Submittable form:
- Grant Program Curriculum Schedule
- Proposed budget form
- CORI/SORI instructions acknowledgment
- City of Boston vendor form
- your IRS Determination letter, and
- a W-9.
Please keep in mind: You must attach these to the online application. We won’t accept them by email or paper.
- RFP release: Monday, April 5, 2021
- Bidder's Conference via Zoom: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, at 2 p.m. (Questions & Answers from Bidder's Conference)
- Proposals/applications due: Friday, May 7, 2021, by 5 p.m.
- Internal review period: May 10 through May 20, 2021
- Awardees notified: Week of May 24, 2021
- CORI/SORI requirements due: no later than June 14, 2021, at 4 p.m.
- Programs must be fully operational: Week of July 5, 2021
- 70% of payment released to awardees: Mid-July 2021
- First weekly attendance report due: Monday, July 16, 2021
- Final report administered: Friday, August 27, 2021
- 30% Check Request to awardees: September 2021
Grant detailsGrant details
Your group must be a nonprofit 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization or designate a partner fiscal agent that is such.
Fiscal agents may only serve as a fiscal agent for one 2021 BCYF Summer Grant application. BCYF community center councils cannot act as a fiscal agent for another applicant and may not apply for this grant.
Your programs needs to run on an ongoing basis through the 2021 summer. We don’t offer funding for one-time events.
Your program must serve Boston youth between the ages of 6 and 18. This may include young adults up to 21 years old.
You must be willing to comply with program site visits from Boston Centers for Youth & Families representatives.
Priority will be given to organizations that have operating budgets of $775,000 or less a year. All organizations will be required to submit a Form 990 to demonstrate their organizational capacity.
If we pick your program for funding, all of your staff and volunteers must complete a CORI/SORI application at the BCYF Administrative Office. This includes groups that received grants in the past and current BCYF volunteers or partner agencies.
If your program will operate in a City of Boston park you must submit a copy of their park permit with the grant application. Note: You must apply directly to the City of Boston’s Parks Department to obtain a park permit. Instructions for obtaining a park permit can be found on the Parks website.
- Proposed programs must operate within the July 1 to August 31 timeframe, beginning no later than July 15.
- Staff salaries (not youth stipends) paid through the BCYF Summer Grants may not exceed $35 per hour per staff member. Your staffing line item may not exceed more than 60% of your overall program budget.
- If we award you a grant, you’ll need to complete and submit electronic weekly program attendance reports. We’ll provide you a format for the reports.
- You’ll also need to complete and submit an end-of-the-summer report.
- You can only use the grant funding to support the programs and activities described in your application.
- Your program also must be free or low-cost.
- Your program may be a startup program or a pre-existing program. If your program is a startup program, please include a letter of support or recommendation as an attachment.
- Your program must be gender-inclusive, encouraging, and welcome participation by youth of all genders. The program may not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnic origin, or economic status. The program may outline age groups and may indicate a minimum and maximum age for participation.
Additional funding preference will be given to proposals that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- violence prevention and addressing trauma in the Boston community
- Social Justice and Diversity, Equity and/or Inclusion (DEI)
- STEAM education
- meaningful youth jobs, either through salaries or stipends
- mentoring, or
- youth substance abuse prevention.
The Summer Grants program is run by Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF). We reserve the right to change our application. We may also make funding decisions to best meet the goals of the program.