BostonCANshare began in 1986 as a can drive to restock food pantries after the Thanksgiving rush and now also encompasses a fundraiser for Boston Bounty Bucks. This campaign helps to fight hunger and increase access to healthy food in Boston, so every Boston resident can live a healthy lifestyle.
BostonCANshare runs annually from October through December. Individuals, organizations, and businesses throughout Boston can participate in various ways. If you would like to organize a collection site at your business or other location to raise money or collect nonperishable food, please email Ana Vivas, CANshare Coordinator, at email@example.com.
BostonCANShare will return in the fall. Thank you to all who donated in 2015!
How you can participate
- Donate money to support the Boston Bounty Bucks Program. Checks can be made out to:
c/o Mayor's Office of Food Initiatives
City Hall Plaza
Boston, MA 02201
- Donate Money to BostonCANshare through our online donation center.
- Donate food at over 100 locations throughout Boston.
- Help your company or organization to become involved in BostonCANshare.
- Learn more by contacting the CANshare Coordinator: Ana.Vivas@boston.gov
Donate What You Can
Times may be tough, but every Bostonian can help this Boston CANshare season. Here's an example of what your contribution can do for our fellow Bostonians:
- $1 Purchases a bag of beans that a family can enjoy at their next meal.
- $5 Gives a family a bag of healthy produce for multiple meals.
- $10 Helps a family meet most of their weekly produce needs at local farmers markets.
In 2014, almost 150 businesses and organizations around the city collected food for the can drive including:
- YMCA of Greater Boston locations
- Shaw’s and Star Market supermarkets
- Boston Centers for Youth and Families locations
- Boston Public Schools, and
- Boston Public Libraries.
Many local businesses and area universities also participated.