Friends of Boston's Homeless
Friends of Boston’s Homeless supports solutions-oriented programs with proven track records that help people transition from the streets and shelters into safe, dignified housing and reclaim their lives.
Friends of Boston’s Homeless is a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization. They help develop and support innovative, solution-oriented programs. These programs help the homeless move beyond shelter and back into the community. They increase public awareness and understanding of the realities of homelessness.
For more information, please visit www.fobh.org.
We have many ways for individuals and groups to volunteer with us.
Opportunities for Groups:
- Community Meals Program: Serve and/or sponsor dinner for the hundreds of emergency shelter guests at our shelters.
- Painting and/or Cleaning Projects: Help create a welcoming setting for our emergency shelters and transitional programs.
We are always interested in new ideas for activities. If you have a special talent or expertise you would like to share with us we would like to hear from you.
Opportunities for Groups and Individuals:
- Donation Drive for Critically Needed Items: Organize a drive at your work, school, or organization. These drives benefit our emergency shelters and transitional programs. Please see below for our wish list or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recreational or Health-focused Activities: Lead fun activities in our shelters. Activities can include sing-a-longs, Bingo, board games, walking groups, etc.
- Life Skills and Support Groups: Provide groups or services in our shelters and transitional programs. Groups can include educational groups, spirituality-based services, or support groups. Topics could include self-esteem building, meditation, or goal-setting.
- Tutoring: Tutor guests in reading, math, GED Prep, computer literacy, and budgeting.
- Make Housewarming Baskets for people moving out of the shelters and unsafe outdoor spaces into safe, stable housing. Because all are experiencing homeless, they don't have anything to get started in their new apartments and their new futures, and need a little help getting set up. Items don't need to be expensive. You can read more about it here.
Donate critically needed items. All donated items are for adults. Please schedule all donation drop offs. For information, please call (617) 534-6100 or email us at email@example.com.
The following items may be new or gently used:
- Thermal wear (from fall – spring)
- Sneakers and boots
- Jeans and pants (sweatpants and joggers are in particular demand)
- Sweatshirts and sweaters
- Winter coats (from fall – spring) and raincoats
- Winter hats, gloves and scarves (from fall – spring)
- Suits and dress shirts
- Dresses and skirts
- Raincoats and umbrellas
- Duffel bags and backpacks
- Belts and wallets
- Board games and decks of cards
- Eyeglasses and sunglasses
- Books, journals, and note cards
- Sunscreen (from spring – summer)
- Art supplies