Inspectional Services COVID-19 updates
- We have received several complaints and concerns regarding construction sites failing to adhere to COVID-19 safety protocols, including on face coverings and social distancing. We must stay the course and adhere to guidelines set by the City of Boston and the state. Building inspectors will continue to monitor and enforce the COVID-19 Safety Plans for Construction. In accordance with the signed affidavit, Contractors acknowledge and agree that non-compliance with any requirements, including failure to abide by their own COVID-19 Safety Plan, may result in suspension or termination of work in progress or revocation of the City’s permit for such work.
- For your safety and that of our staff, the Inspectional Services Department (ISD) has temporarily adjusted some of our business practices. To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, public access to our office is restricted to appointments only for services that can only be provided in person. To better address your needs we have modified and streamlined the services listed below, in addition to providing improved contact information.
Affidavits (Fire Escapes, Swimming Pools, Roof Decks, and Facades)
If you have an inquiry or would like to submit an affidavit for a swimming pool, roof deck, fire escape/fire balcony, or facade, email us (for swimming pools or roof decks) or download the application (fire escape/fire balcony or facade) and email the completed form to ISDAffidavits@boston.gov or call 617-961-3076.
Board of Appeal
Building Division - Permits
- Check your permit status: To check the status of pending permits please visit our permit portal. To check the status of issued permits visit our Permit Finder website: Permit Finder Portal
- Look up historic documents: Historical permits can be found at the Lookup Historic Documents portal.
- Apply for an online permit: Submit an application for Alteration/Long Form, Amendment, Use of Premise, Short Form, Electrical, Gas, and Plumbing permits via our Online Permitting Portal.
- Applying for a permit not available online: To apply for a Sheet Metal, Trench, or Sprinkler permit, please download the permit application (Sheet Metal, Trench, Sprinkler), and submit the completed application along with your Workers' Compensation Insurance Affidavit, COVID-19 Safety Affidavit, COVID-19 Safety Plan and a copy of your builders license to ISDPermits@boston.gov. We will contact you regarding the next steps. For related questions, please email ISDPermits@boston.gov or call 617-961-3424.
- Questions about permits at the “intake stage”: If your permit is in “Intake” (aka Counter #1) and you need assistance, please contact us at ISDPermits@boston.gov or 617-961-3424.
- Questions about permits at the “Inspection Review Stage”: If your permit is in the “inspection review stage" and you need assistance, please contact the appropriate inspector. You can also email ISDBuildingInspection@boston.gov , ISDMechanicalInspection@boston.gov, ISDElectricalInspection@boston.gov or call (617) 961-3289
- Plan drop off or pickup: Applicants looking to drop off plans or consult with a plan review staff member must schedule an appointment at ISDPZreview@boston.gov or call 617-635-5312.
- Off-hour work permits: To apply for an off-hour permit to work outside of the normal construction hours, please send a completed off-hour permit application via email to ISDOffHourInspection@boston.gov. Once received we will contact you regarding the next steps
Building Division - Inspections
- Request a buildings and structures inspection: To schedule a building, electrical or mechanical inspection, please contact the appropriate ward inspector, or reach out to the appropriate group email address: ISDBuildingInspection@boston.gov, ISDMechanicalInspection@boston.gov, ISDElectricalInspection@boston.gov, or call 617-961-3289.
- Off-hour inspection requests: To request an “off-hour” inspection from a building, electrical, or mechanical inspector, please send a completed off-hour inspection application to ISDOffHourInspection@boston.gov. If it is approved, you will be instructed to pay the fee of $250 online, then the inspection will be scheduled.
Building Division - Builders License Renewals
- City of Boston Building License renewal: To renew your builders license or apply for a new license, please send an email to email@example.com or call 617-961-3225.
Certificates of Inspections and Certificates of Occupancy
Download the checklist and/or application for a Certificate of Occupancy. If you have an inquiry or would like to submit an application related to a Certificate of Occupancy, or if you need assistance regarding a certificate of inspections, please send an email to ISDCertificates@boston.gov or call 617-961-3458, 617-961-3223, or 617-961-3401.
If you have a complaint regarding illegal rooming homes, hoarding, or construction projects not in compliance with the City’s COVID-19 Construction Safety Protocols, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or call 617-869-6920.
Environmental Sanitation Division
- Long-term Rental Housing Registration: To register or renew a registration your rental property, visit our Rental Registration Portal.
- Short-term Rental Housing Registration: To register or renew your short-term rental registration, visit our Short-term Rental .Registration Portal.
- For housing-related questions or assistance, you can call our office at 617-635-1010 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Weights and Measures Division
Our Weights and Measures Sealers are conducting random verification inspections to ensure that consumers are being accurately charged. Questions or inquiries can be sent to ISDwm@boston.gov or call 617-635-5328
On Tuesday, May 5, the City activated the submission process for required COVID-19 Safety Affidavits and COVID-19 Safety Plans for permitted construction work. The City also announced the timeline to incrementally expand the categories of allowed construction to further align with the broader categories of construction defined as essential by the State. Read the announcement. You can also review the COVID-19 safety affidavit and plan submission process for Inspectional Services.
- Permitting portal: Submit, pay, and manage applications for Alteration/Long forms, Amendments, Use of Premise, Short Form, electrical, gas, and plumbing applications.
- Rental registration: Apply, renew, and pay for rental property registration.
- Short-term rental: Apply, renew, and pay for short-term rental property registrations.
- Check the status of a building permit
- Lookup historic documents: Access to past permits and related documents for a property
- Analyze Boston: The City of Boston’s open data hub.
- Mayor’s Food Court: Provides up-to-date health food establishment inspection reports.
- Housing Division: Register a rental property.