Inspectional Services COVID-19 updates
- On Friday, May 22, 2020, the Planning and Zoning Division will reopen to the public, by appointment only. The new plan is to serve as a guide for a cautious, phased-in approach for reopening, driven by clear public health criteria and safety guidelines. View the Planning and Zoning Division guidelines.
To mitigate the the spread of COVID-19 public access to our office is restricted to personnel only. We will continue to provide critical services only until further notice. Below you will find a list of services, ways to access them, and contact information.Inspectional Services construction permits
On Tuesday, May 5, the City activated the submission process for required COVID-19 Safety Affidavits and COVID-19 Safety Plans for permitted construction work. The City also announced the timeline to incrementally expand the categories of allowed construction to further align with the broader categories of construction defined as essential by the State. Read the announcement. You can also review the COVID-19 safety affidavit and plan submission process for Inspectional Services.Board of Appeals
If applying for Alteration/Long Form, Amendment, Use of Premise, Short Form, Electrical, Gas, and Plumbing applications can do so on our Permitting Portal. Historical permits can be found at the Lookup historic documents portal. For questions regarding a permit please reach out to the corresponding email address, ISDBuildingInspection@boston.gov, ISDMechanicalInspection@boston.gov, ISDElectricalInspection@boston.govConstituent Services
If you have any complaints regarding illegal rooming homes, hoarding, or construction projects working outside of the temporary guidance for Construction in the City of Boston, please contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 617-869-6920. For all emergencies from Boston Police and Boston Fire relating to Inspectional Services, please contact 617-869-6920.Environmental Sanitation Division
Site Cleanliness Applications should be mailed into the department for processing. Due to the nature of their job, inspectors have minimal to no contact with the public they will continue with conducting rodent control and Site Cleanliness inspections. Questions or inquiries for the Environmental Sanitation Division can be sent to ISDenvironmental@boston.gov or call 617-961-3422.Health Division
Rental Registration and Short Term Rental renewals or applications can be processed online, or call 617-635-1010. You would like to send the Housing Division an email you can contact them by email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.orgPlans and Zoning (Counter 2)
Starting Friday, May 22, 2020, the Planning and Zoning Division will accept visits by appointment only. Appointments will be available on Tuesdays and Fridays, with limited hours between 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. (noon). Applicants looking to drop off plans or consult with a staff member can schedule an appointment by emailing ISDPZreview@boston.gov. View the Planning and Zoning Division guidelines. You can also log into Permit Finder to check the status of a permit.Weights and Measures Division
Our Weights and Measures Sealers are conducting random verification inspections to ensure that consumers are being accurately charged. Questions or inquiries can be sent to Isdwm@boston.gov or call 617-635-5328.
- Permitting portal: Submit, pay, and manage applications for Alteration/Long forms, Amendments, Use of Premise, Short Form, electrical, gas, and plumbing applications.
- Rental registration: Apply, renew, and pay for rental property registration.
- Short-term rental: Apply, renew, and pay for short-term rental property registrations.
- Check the status of a building permit
- Lookup historic documents: Access to past permits and related documents for a property
- Analyze Boston: The City of Boston’s open data hub.
- Mayor’s Food Court: Provides up-to-date health food establishment inspection reports.
- Housing Division: Register a rental property.