Traffic Advisory for Sunday, December 31, 2017, and January, 1, 2018
December 29, 2017
On Sunday, December 31, 2017, the City of Boston will welcome the New Year with its annual First Night Celebration, and Monday, January 1, 2018, the inauguration of Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh will take place at the Cutler Majestice Theatre. Street closures and parking bans will be in effect throughout the weekend to support these events. Those coming into Boston to enjoy the festivities are asked to leave their vehicles at home. Please visit the MBTA website for information on MBTA service and The Hubway website for information on bike share service.
The following traffic and parking plan may be revised by the Boston Transportation Department or the Boston Police Department at any time as necessary.
First Night Related Street Closures - New Year's Eve, Sunday, December 31, 2017 into Monday, January 1, 2018
- Boylston Street, from Exeter Street to Tremont Street, approximately 4-8 p.m.
- Charles Street, from Park Plaza to Beacon Street, approximately 5-8 p.m.
- Dartmouth Street, from St. James Avenue to Boylston Street, approximately 10 a.m. on 12/31/17 to 1 a.m. on 1/1/18
- In addition, traffic on Atlantic Avenue and nearby Downtown streets could be heavily impacted between 11 p.m. on December 31, through 2 a.m. on January 1, due to the midnight fireworks display.
First Night Related Parking Restrictions - New Year's Eve, Sunday, December 31, 2017 into Monday, January 1, 2018
“Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event Saturday to Monday”
- Boylston Street, Copley Square side, from Dartmouth Street to Clarendon Street
“Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event Sunday 12:01 a.m. to Monday 5 a.m."
- Boylston Street, both sides, from Berkeley Street to Arlington Street
“Tow Zone No Stopping Sunday”
- Arlington Street, both sides, from Beacon Street to Boylston Street
- Atlantic Avenue, east side, from East India Row to Commercial Street; and, west side, from Commercial Wharf to Cross Street
- Beacon Street, both sides, from Charles Street to Arlington Street
- Berkeley Street, both sides, from Boylston Street to Newbury Street
- Blagden Street, both sides, from Dartmouth Street to Exeter Street, not including the BPL parking zone
- Boylston Street, both sides, from Exeter Street to Arlington Street, not including the BPL parking zone; and, Public Garden side, from Arlington Street to Charles Street
- Charles Street, Public Garden side, from Boylston Street to Beacon Street
- Clarendon Street, both sides, from Newbury Street to Boylston Street; and, Trinity Church side, from Boylston Street to Saint James Avenue
- Dartmouth Street, both sides, from St. James Street to Newbury Street
- Saint James Avenue, both sides, from Clarendon Street to Dartmouth Street
- Trinity Place, Copley Fairmount side, from Saint James Avenue to Stuart Street; and both sides, from Stuart Street to the Clarendon Street Garage, at and opposite #40 Trinity Place.
Inauguration Related Street Closures - Monday, January 1, 2018
Traffic delays are expected in the vicinity of the intersection of Tremont Street and Boylston Street on Monday, January 1, 2018, as Boston residents gather for the 10 a.m. Inauguration of City of Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh at the Cutler Majestic Theatre. Drivers are strongly encouraged to detour around the area.
Inauguration Related Parking Restrictions - Monday, January 1, 2018
"Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Events Monday 5 a.m.-1 p.m.”
Stuart Street, south side, from Charles Street South to Washington Street; and north side, from Tremont Street to Charles Street South, excluding any HP spaces.
Tremont Street, both sides, from Stuart Street to Oak Street South, excluding any HP spaces or Valet Zones.
Boylston Street, Emerson College side, from Charles Street to Washington Street
Warrenton Street, NE School of Law side, from Stuart Street to end
Charles Street, east side, from Tremont Street to Boylston Street; and Four Seasons Hotel side, from Boylston Street to Park Plaza
Church Street, both sides from Columbus Avenue to Stuart Street
Stuart Street, north side, from Arlington Street to Church Street
Columbus Avenue, south side, from Arlington St to Church Street