Updated traffic advisory for St. Patrick's Day parade in South Boston
March 17, 2017
The annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, as well as the annual South Boston Boys and Girls Club Road Race, will be held in South Boston on Sunday, March 19, 2017. The parade route has been shortened due to weather conditions.
The parade and road race will result in street closures and traffic detours in South Boston and the surrounding area, and reduce on-street parking availability. Those coming into South Boston for the festivities are strongly encouraged not to drive their personal vehicles. Information on Hubway, the regional bike share system, may be found at www.theHubway.com, and information on the MBTA may be found at www.MBTA.com. For a faster return trip, the MBTA advises riders to purchase a round-trip rather than a one-way ticket.
The parade will begin at 1 p.m. on West Broadway at Dorchester Avenue, proceed to East Broadway, and end on Farragut Road. Streets along the parade route will be closed to traffic from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The road race will begin at 11 a.m. on West Sixth Street at the Boys and Girls Club and will end at Noon.
The route will take runners from:
- West Sixth Street to Dorchester Street
- right onto East Broadway
- down and around the Farragut Statue at Day Boulevard, to East Broadway
- right onto West Broadway
- left onto E Street
- left onto West Sixth Street, and
- ending at the Boys and Girls Club at #230 West Sixth Street.
Streets along the race route will be closed to traffic temporarily as the runners pass through, with the exception of West Broadway and East Broadway. Those streets will be closed for a longer stretch of time to accommodate the parade.
“Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event SATURDAY AND SUNDAY” temporary parking restrictions will be in effect as follows.
- West Broadway, both sides, from Dorchester Avenue to Dorchester Street
- East Broadway, both sides, from Dorchester Street to Farragut Road
- Farragut Road, both sides, from Columbia Road to East First Street
“Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event SUNDAY” temporary parking restrictions will be in effect as follows.
- Dorchester Avenue, both sides, from Gillette Park to Old Colony Avenue (Staging Area)
- Old Colony Avenue, both sides, from Dorchester Avenue to C Street
- East First Street, both sides, from Farragut Road to O Street
- West Sixth Street, both sides, from F Street to Dorchester Street
- F Street, Boys and Girls Club side, West Sixth Street to Bowen Street
- Summer Street, South Boston, east side, from East First Street to the end of 776 Summer Street
- Summer Street, Financial District, South Station side, from Atlantic Avenue to the MBTA bus stopper near 245 Summer Street