Find out if you are eligible
COVID-19 update: We are not currently accepting in-person applications.
You may be eligible for a Youth Pass if you meet these 3 requirements:
- You live in Boston
- You are between 18 and 25 years old
- You are enrolled in an MBTA-approved benefits, education, or job training program, including:
Individuals between 12 and 18 years old who are not enrolled in middle or high school may also be eligible for Youth Pass if they do not have access to a Student CharlieCard (S-Card or M7) through their school.
Complete the intake form
If you are interested in the Youth Pass Program, you must complete the intake form.
After you complete your intake form, you will receive an email with the following:
- A link to complete the Youth Pass application, including uploading your eligibility documents to prove your identity/age, residency, and if applicable, program enrollment
- A link to schedule an online (i.e. Zoom) appointment
- A list of eligibility documents needed for your appointment
The Youth Pass Program is a partnership between the MBTA and the City of Boston. We offer reduced fares to eligible young adults.
Youth Pass CharlieCards can be loaded with:
- cash value, for roughly 50 percent reduced one-way fares, or
- $30 monthly LinkPasses for unlimited bus and subway travel.
From July 1 – September 30, 2020, Youth Pass cardholders can buy half-price tickets for all Commuter Rail zones on board, at ticket windows, and via the mTicket app.
Youth Pass CharlieCards expire on November 1 each year, regardless of when they were received. So, you’ll need to go through the application steps to re-enroll each year.
We're testing out suggested content on Boston.gov below. If you see anything out of place, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.