We accept, file, record, and maintain all municipal records for Boston. For the public, we issue various licenses and permits and can notarize and attest to documents.
Our office at Room 601 in City Hall is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. No daily transactions will be processed after 4 p.m. Constituents most commonly visit the City of Boston City Clerk to file for a business certificate, domestic partnership, raffle, or notarized document.
Please note: The following are NOT reasons to visit the City Clerk's Office:
Contact the Registry Department if you want to file for a marriage license or have requests for birth and death certificates. You can contact the department at 617-635-4175 or email@example.com.
Contact the Parking Clerk's Office if you want to:
- file for a resident parking permit
- file for a moving permit, or
- pay a parking ticket.
1 City Hall Square
Room 601Boston, MA 02201-2014
Office hoursMonday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. No daily transactions will be processed after 4 p.m.
Weddings and partnerships
We have info on getting married at City Hall, and domestic partnerships.
Want to get married at Boston City Hall? Here’s what to do.
Are you in a relationship and looking to file for a domestic partnership?
If you want to end a domestic partnership, you have two options.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: Governor Charlie Baker announced an emergency order modifying the State’s Open Meeting Law. The order order suspends the requirement for public access to the physical location where a public meeting is taking place, provided there are other means of access. Read the emergency order.
We add information on City of Boston public meetings and hearings to the public notices section of our website.
Our office maintains public records, including all information related to the City Council. Learn more about posting notices for public meetings and hearings.
Upcoming meetings and hearings
City Council meetings
Please keep in mind:
- The City Council meets every Wednesday at 12 p.m. You can find agendas for City Council Meetings online, or at our office after 4 p.m. on the Monday before a meeting.
- City Council meeting minutes are available online or through our office after 4 p.m. on the Friday after the meeting.
- We recently launched a new legislative management system. Starting August 16, 2021, City Council meetings can be found on that site. Meetings before August 16, can be found on the old site while we work to transfer everything over.
- Please note: Indexed videos before August 16, 2021, are currently unavailable. Past City Council meetings and livestreams are still available on the Boston City TV YouTube page.