All commissioners must be appointed by the Mayor and also require City Council confirmation. BLC staff support each commissions' work. Find specifics about commissioner appointments in the Landmarks Commission's enabling legislation, and in each study report.
The Office of Historic Preservation (OHP) also includes the City Archaeology Program and the Commemoration Commission. OHP is part of the Environment, Energy, and Open Space Cabinet. Learn about how Landmarks works to protect Boston’s historic resources while promoting the environmental benefits of our existing historic buildings and open spaces.
All applications for the Landmarks Commission and Historic Districts are now online!
Utilize our online portal to:
- Apply for Design Review
- Apply for Article 85 (Demolition Delay)
- Review past Demolition Delay applications
- Report a violation
- Submit a public comment
- View translated applications
- Portal troubleshooting
Public hearings and meetingsHearings
Historic DistrictsHistoric Districts
Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District
The Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District was designated in 2002.
Back Bay Architectural District
The Back Bay Architectural District was established in 1966 and expanded in 1974, 1979, and 1981.
Bay Village Historic District
The Bay Village Historic District was d esignated in 1983.
Beacon Hill Architectural District
Beacon Hill Architectural District was established in 1955, and expanded in 1958, 1963 and 1975.
Bay State Road/Back Bay West Area Architectural Conservation District
The Bay State Road/Back Bay West Architectural Conservation District was designated in 1979.
Fort Point Channel Landmark District
The Fort Point Channel Landmark District was designated in 2009.
Highland Park Architectural Conservation District
The Highland Park Architectural Conservation District was designated in 2022.
Mission Hill Triangle Architectural Conservation District
The Mission Hill Triangle Architectural Conservation District was designated in 1985.
St. Botolph Area Architectural Conservation District
The Saint Botolph Area Architectural Conservation District was designated in 1981.