Bay Village Historic District
The Bay Village Historic District Commission (BVHDC) meets the second Tuesday of each month to review proposed exterior design changes and alterations. Interested in becoming a commissioner? Please see details about nomination in the district's Study Report and check the commission information section at the bottom of this page. If you see an "apply online" button, we have an opening on the commission and you're able to apply for it.
Design Review Process
All proposed exterior work (including work at rooftops) that is, or will be visible from any public way is subject to the review of the BVHDC. You must submit a Design Approval Application to the Commission and it must be approved by the Commission before beginning any exterior work that is subject to Commission review.
- To save time and costs, contact staff early in the planning process to determine project compliance with guidelines.
- Review all instructions and documentation requirements before submitting your application to ensure it is complete. Only complete applications will be added to a public hearing agenda.
- Submit your application online well in advance of a filing deadline in case it is marked incomplete and additional or revised information needs to be submitted.
- Staff is not available to review applications for completeness immediately upon submittal.
- Do not begin any work, or buy materials until after you have received confirmation your project has been approved.
Prior to 1825 the Bay Village area consisted of mudflats created by Back Bay tides. Once construction of a dam was authorized and the land drained, construction began almost immediately. Early deeds restricted height and construction materials, as a result, the major streets tend to be visually similar; red brick was the building material of choice, often with a granite foundation. Most Bay Village buildings were constructed between 1825 and 1899 and represent a variety of architectural styles, ranging from Federal to Greek Revival to Victorian.
For further historical background, please check out the Bay Village Historic District Study Report.
- 20 City Hall Avenue
Floor 3Boston, MA 02108
All of our applications for the Landmarks Commission and Historic Districts are now online! Utilize our online portal to:
- Apply for Design Review
- Apply for Article 85 (Demolition Delay)
- Review Past Demolition Delay Applications
- Report a Violation
- Submit a Public Comment
- Translated Applications
Get updates about hearings and other neighborhood news.
- BVHD Agenda December 2019
- BVHD Agenda November 2019
- BVHD Agenda October 2019
- BVHD Agenda September 2019
- BVHD Agenda August 2019 (Unavailable)
- BVHD Agenda July 2019
- BVHD Agenda June 2019
- BVHD Agenda May 2019
- BVHD Agenda April 2019 (Unavailable)
- BVHD Agenda March 2019
- BVHD Agenda February 2019
- BVHD Agenda January 2019
2020 meeting minutes
2019 meeting minutes
BVHD 2019 Recordings