Bay Village Historic District
The Bay Village Historic District Commission (BVHDC) meets the second Tuesday of each month to review proposed exterior design changes and alterations. Interested in becoming a commissioner? Please see details about nomination in the district's Study Report and check the commission information section at the bottom of this page. If you see an "apply online" button, we have an opening on the commission and you're able to apply for it.
Design Review Process
All proposed exterior work (including work at rooftops) that is, or will be visible from any public way is subject to the review of the BVHDC. You must submit a Design Approval Application to the Commission and it must be approved by the Commission before beginning any exterior work that is subject to Commission review.
- To save time and costs, contact staff early in the planning process to determine project compliance with guidelines.
- Review all instructions and documentation requirements before submitting your application to ensure it is complete. Only complete applications will be added to a public hearing agenda.
- Submit your application well in advance of a filing deadline in case it is marked incomplete and additional or revised information needs to be submitted.
- Staff is not available to review applications for completeness immediately upon submittal.
- Do not begin any work, or buy materials until after you have received confirmation your project has been approved.
Prior to 1825 the Bay Village area consisted of mudflats created by Back Bay tides. Once construction of a dam was authorized and the land drained, construction began almost immediately. Early deeds restricted height and construction materials, as a result, the major streets tend to be visually similar; red brick was the building material of choice, often with a granite foundation. Most Bay Village buildings were constructed between 1825 and 1899 and represent a variety of architectural styles, ranging from Federal to Greek Revival to Victorian.
For further historical background, please check out the Bay Village Historic District Study Report.
- BVHD Agenda December 2018
- BVHD Agenda November 2018
- BVHD Agenda October 2018
- BVHD Agenda September 2018 CANCELLATION
- BVHD Agenda August 2018
- BVHD Agenda July 2018
- BVHD Agenda June 2018 CANCELLATION
- BVHD Agenda April 2018
- BVHD Agenda March 2018 CANCELLATION
- BVHD Agenda February 2018 CANCELLATION
- BVHD Agenda January 2018 CANCELLATION
- BVHD Agenda December 2017
- BVHD Agenda November 2017
- BVHD Agenda October 2017
- BVHD Agenda September 2017
- BVHD Agenda August 2017
- BVHD Agenda July 2017
- BVHD Agenda June 2017
- BVHD Agenda June 2017
- BVHD/BCDC Joint Meeting Agenda May 2017
- BVHD Agenda May 2017 CANCELLATION
- BVHD Agenda April 2017
- BVHD Agenda March 2017 (canceled)
- BVHD Agenda February 2017
- BVHD Agenda January 2017
- BVHDC Agenda December 2016
- BVHDC Agenda November 2016
- BVHDC Agenda October 2016
- BVHDC Agenda September 2016
- BVHDC Agenda August 2016
- BVHDC Agenda July 2016
- BVHDC Agenda June 2016
- BVHDC Agenda May 2016
- BVHDC Agenda April 2016
- BVHDC Agenda February 2015
- BVHDC Cancelation Notice March 2015
- BVHDC Agenda June 2015
- BVHDC Agenda September 2015
- BVHDC Agenda November 2015