Bay Village Historic District
The Bay Village Historic District Commission (BVHDC) meets the second Tuesday of each month to review proposed exterior design changes and alterations. To apply as a commissioner, please see details about nomination in the district's Study Report. Then, select BVHDC under the Energy, Environment, and Open Space policy area on the City's Boards and Commissions page. There you can provide contact and other information.
Design Review Process
All proposed exterior work (including work at rooftops) that is, or will be visible from any public way is subject to the review of the BVHDC. You must submit a Design Approval Application to the Commission and it must be approved by the Commission before beginning any exterior work that is subject to Commission review.
- To save time and costs, contact staff early in the planning process to determine project compliance with guidelines.
- Review all instructions and documentation requirements before submitting your application to ensure it is complete. Only complete applications will be added to a public hearing agenda.
- Submit your application well in advance of a filing deadline in case it is marked incomplete and additional or revised information needs to be submitted.
- Staff is not available to review applications for completeness immediately upon submittal.
- Do not begin any work, or buy materials until after you have received confirmation your project has been approved.
Prior to 1825 the Bay Village area consisted of mudflats created by Back Bay tides. Once construction of a dam was authorized and the land drained, construction began almost immediately. Early deeds restricted height and construction materials, as a result, the major streets tend to be visually similar; red brick was the building material of choice, often with a granite foundation. Most Bay Village buildings were constructed between 1825 and 1899 and represent a variety of architectural styles, ranging from Federal to Greek Revival to Victorian.
For further historical background please see Bay Village Historic District Study Report.
- BVHD Agenda September 12, 2017
- BVHD Agenda August 8, 2017
- BVHD Agenda July 11, 2017
- BVHD Agenda June 13, 2017
- BVHD Public Meeting Agenda June 6, 2017
- BVHD/BCDC Joint Meeting Agenda May 2017
- BVHD Agenda May 2017 CANCELLATION
- BVHD Agenda April 2017
- BVHD Agenda March 2017 (canceled)
- BVHD Agenda February 2017
- BVHD Agenda January 2017