Our department provides core basic services essential to neighborhood quality of life. We direct the general construction, maintenance, and cleaning of approximately 802 miles of roadways throughout the City. We operate two major drawbridges, maintain 68,055 City-owned street lights, and supervise contracts for the removal and disposal of approximately 260,000 tons of solid waste. We also operate Boston’s recycling program with an annual diversion of approximately 44,000 tons.
Learn more about how Public Works helps the City.
BOS:311 service requestsService requests
Public Works Engineering Projects
We have information on bridge, design, and construction projects.
Public Improvement Commission
The commission owns and controls Boston’s public space. We play an important role in the City’s development and permitting.
Latest newsLatest news
Temporary outdoor extension of licensed premise guidance and application
City to deploy sound trucks with stay-at-home message, COVID-19 information
Mayor Walsh extends order pausing non-essential construction work in Boston
Reports and publicationsReports
The Construction Inspection Unit (CIU) produces a daily report, Monday through Friday, of all active utility and private contractor construction work taking place in the Public Way throughout Boston. In addition, they list all City resurfacing and reconstruction projects.
Emergency work notified to the unit after normal work hours (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) is not available in the report until the following work day.
- Rules and specifications for excavation activity
- 2019 utility kickoff presentation
- Approved concrete vendors (as of November 1, 2018)
- Approved gravel vendors (as of November 1, 2018)
- Climate Resilient Design Guidelines (October 2018)
- Public Works Design Standards
- Recycling and trash guidelines for Downtown and Roxbury
- Waste audit of multiple collection districts (2013)
- Winter 2019-2020 Moratorium Guidelines for Utility Excavation