Our department provides core basic services essential to neighborhood quality of life. We direct the general construction, maintenance, and cleaning of approximately 802 miles of roadways throughout the City. We operate two major drawbridges, maintain 68,055 City-owned street lights, and supervise contracts for the removal and disposal of approximately 260,000 tons of solid waste. We also operate Boston’s recycling program with an annual diversion of approximately 44,000 tons.
Learn more about how Public Works helps the City.
The Construction Inspection Unit (CIU) produces a daily report, Monday through Friday, of all active utility and private contractor construction work taking place in the Public Way throughout Boston. In addition, they list all City resurfacing and reconstruction projects.
Emergency work notified to the unit after normal work hours (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) is not available in the report until the following work day.
- Winter 2018-2019 Moratorium Guidelines for Utility Excavation
- Approved concrete vendors (as of November 1, 2018)
- Approved gravel vendors (as of November 1, 2018)
- Climate Resilient Design Guidelines (October 2018)
- 2013 waste audit of multiple collection districts (preliminary results)
- Recycling and trash guidelines for Downtown and Roxbury
- Rules and specifications for excavation activity