We administer and enforce building, housing, health, sanitation, and safety regulations mandated by City and State governments. We are made up of five regulatory divisions whose aim is to protect and improve the quality of life for all Boston residents. Our mission is to serve the public by protecting the health, safety, and environmental stability of Boston's business and residential communities. Learn more about our work.
Take Advantage OF our online portal
The online option saves you time — you can apply online and even print out your permit when it has been approved by us. Right now, you can apply for some of our permits online, but the list will continue to grow over time.
Upcoming eventsUpcoming events
Learn more about our workHealth, food, and environment
The Health Division enforces food and sanitary laws for Boston Inspectional Services. Learn about our team approach to protecting public health.
We keep Boston free of pests and rodents.
We protect consumers when they buy products sold by weight or volume.
BOS:311 service requestsService requests
Forms and documentsDocuments
- Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District (designated in 200).
- Back Bay Architectural District (Established in 1966 and expanded in 1974, 1979, and 1981)
- Bay State Road/Back Bay West Architectural Conservation District (designated in 1979)
- Bay Village Historic District (designated in 1983)
- Beacon Hill Architectural District (established in 1955, and expanded in 1958 and 1963)
- Fort Point Channel Landmark District (designated in 2009)
- Mission Hill Triangle Architectural Conservation District (designated in 1985)
- South End Landmark District (designated in 1983)
- St. Botolph Architectural Conservation District (designated in 1981)
Are you a contractor and subcontractor performing home improvement work on an existing one- to four-unit residential property in Massachusetts? You must register for the Home Improvement Contractor Registration as the following:
- an Individual
- a limited liability company (LLC)
- a limited liability partnership (LLP), and
- a corporation.
- Home Improvement Contractors (HIC) Guide
- First-time registrations
- Renew your HIC Registration (online account only)
- Change your registered address
- Request a duplicate or supplemental (additional) card
- Renew your HIC registration (by mail or in-person)
- Change your Doing Business As (DBA)
- Register as a Foreign Corporation