The Inspectional Services Department administers and enforces building, housing, health, sanitation, and safety regulations mandated by City and State governments.
We are made up of five regulatory divisions. Our goal is to protect and improve the quality of life for all Boston residents. Our mission is to serve the public by protecting the health, safety, and environmental stability of Boston's business and residential communities. Learn about our work.
Take Advantage OF our online portal
The online option saves you time — you can apply online and even print out your permit when it has been approved by us. Right now, you can apply for some of our permits online, but the list will continue to grow over time.
1010 Massachusetts Avenue
5th FloorBoston, MA 02118
Office hoursMonday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Requesting a copy of records? Check our Public Records Center.
2021 holiday dates
Learn more about our work
BOS:311 service requestsService requests
Forms and documentsDocuments
- Application to Install Fire Protection System (Sprinkler)
- Application for Use and Occupancy
- Board of Appeal: Appeal under Boston Zoning Code (BD09)
- C/O Requirements Checklist
- Construction License Exemption for Home Owner(s)
- Change of Licensed Builder
- Demolition checklist
- Facade Application
- Holiday dates requiring after-hours work permit
- Massachusetts State Building Code-780 CMR
- Off-Hour Permit Application
- Permit Extension Act common questions
- Street Numbering Form
- Suggested Affidavit for Home Improvement Contractor Permit Application
- What is a Certified Plot Plan?
- Affidavit of Licensed Contractor Violation History
- Mattocks-Higgins Affidavit of Workplace Safety
- Building Division Fees
Are you a contractor and subcontractor performing home improvement work on an existing one- to four-unit residential property in Massachusetts? You must register for the Home Improvement Contractor Registration as the following:
- an Individual
- a limited liability company (LLC)
- a limited liability partnership (LLP), and
- a corporation.
- Home Improvement Contractors (HIC) Guide
- First-time registrations
- Renew your HIC Registration (online account only)
- Change your registered address
- Request a duplicate or supplemental (additional) card
- Renew your HIC registration (by mail or in-person)
- Change your Doing Business As (DBA)
- Register as a Foreign Corporation
News and announcementsLatest news
Celebrating May as National Building Safety Month