Our mission is to increase opportunities for people with disabilities by facilitating full and equal participation in all aspects of life within the City of Boston. This includes reducing architectural, procedural, attitudinal, and communication barriers as well as promoting equity in housing, education, employment, transportation, and civic activities.
Our office works toward compliance with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We also provide information and referral, architectural access review, and advocacy on disability issues.
ADA Title II Compliance
Submission of AAB Variance Applications
In order to promote environmentally-friendly operational practices, The City of Boston Disabilities Commission is encouraging Architectural Access Board applicants to send variance and amendment applications electronically via email, in lieu of physical mailed-in copies on an ongoing basis. Please adhere to the following guidelines for electronic submission.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, should there be any questions or concerns.
- Applications should be addressed to Commissioner Kristen McCosh and sent to email@example.com
- The email submissions should have the subject line: [Address] - AAB Variance Application
- The application and all attachments must be in .pdf format in a single file, except where that file exceeds 15 megabytes.
- If the file should exceed 15 megabytes, it may be broken up into as few files as possible to fall below the size limit.
Disability Commission Annual Report for 2018 / 2019
The annual report highlights the work that the commission has done to improve accessibility in Boston over the last year.
New position created to hire American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter
Notice of proposed settlement of class action lawsuit
Major milestone reached in making Boston’s streets and sidewalks more accessible
2022 Advisory Board meetings
The Disability Commission Advisory Board typically meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month, from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our meetings will be held remotely for the foreseeable future.
- Call to Order
- Approval of prior month's minutes
- Administrative Updates
- Chair’s Report
- Commissioner's Report – Kristen McCosh
- Upcoming Events and Announcements
- Old Business
- New Business
- New Action Items
- Public Input