Disability Commission Advisory Board
The Commission facilitates full and equal participation in all aspects of life by persons with disabilities in the City of Boston. They strive to reduce architectural, procedural, attitudinal, and communication barriers that affect persons with disabilities.
The board consists of nine members appointed by the Mayor. Learn more about the board members.
The majority of members are persons with disabilities, but:
- one of the members may be a member of the immediate family of a person with a disability, and
- one member may be appointed as an official of the City of Boston and shall be an ex-officio member.
Commission Advisory Board meetings are open to the public. Everyone interested in issues affecting the disability community in the City of Boston is welcome to attend.
Attendees are welcome and encouraged to bring their own concerns affecting the disability community to meetings. A section of the meeting agenda is reserved for public input. Meetings are televised live and streamed online with captioning.
Fourth (4th) Monday of the month, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.Where:
Boston City Hall, 1 City Hall Square
9th floor, Room 900 (BRA Board Room)
Boston, MA 02201
- Call to Order
- Approval of Minutes
- Chair’s Report
- Commissioner's Report – Kristen McCosh
- Architectural Access Update – Patricia Mendez
- Old Business
- Old Action Items
- New Business
- New Action Items
- Public Input
Meetings are broadcast live on Comcast channel 24, and RCN channel 13, as well as live online.
The public is always welcome to attend advisory board meetings without prior notice. However, if a larger group would like to attend, we would request that they RSVP to the Commission for Persons with Disabilities at 617-635-3682 or firstname.lastname@example.org. It would assist us in arranging the meeting space.
- Successfully advocated for the appointment of a Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities.
- Planned with the City and AAB regarding streetscape improvements, including an accessible route across City Hall Plaza to be finished by November 2011.
- Reached agreement with the City on the repair of Huntington Avenue by installing a concrete path of travel over the next three years.
- Helped prioritize curb cut and sidewalk repairs throughout the city. Successfully advocated for a change of sidewalk crossing design on Forsyth Way in Fenway.
- Wrote letters and testified before the ZAB on applications for variances.
- Researched, wrote letters, and testified in favor of Department of Public Health regulation change to allow flexibility regarding central air-conditioning in apartment buildings.
- Consulted with Transportation Department on sidewalk surface materials and HP parking.
- Reached agreement with the City to no longer use City Hall paver bricks.
- Worked with the Hackney Division to ensure access to accessible cabs.
- Worked with the City and MBTA on snow clearance responsibilities.
- Advocated for the implementation of a citywide ADA transition plan.
- Commission for Persons with Disabilities Annual Report - 2016 / 2017
- Commission for Persons with Disabilities Advisory Board Annual Report - 2016 / 2017
- Commission for Persons with Disabilities Annual Report - 2014/ 2015
- Commission for Persons with Disabilities Advisory Board Annual Report - 2014/ 2015
- Agenda - Minutes - October 23, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - September 25, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - August 28, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - July 24, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - May 22, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - April 24, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - March 27, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - February 27, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - January 23, 2017
- Agenda - Minutes - December 14, 2015
- Agenda - November 26, 2015
- Agenda - Minutes - October 22, 2015
- Agenda - Minutes - September 24, 2015
- Agenda - August 27, 2015
- Agenda - Minutes - July 23, 2015
- Agenda - Minutes - June 25, 2015
- Agenda - May 28, 2015
- Agenda - Minutes - April 23, 2015
- Agenda - Minutes - March 26, 2015
- Agenda - Minutes - January 22, 2015