Research and technical assistance
CULTURAL RESOURCE INVENTORY
Since 1977, the BLC has inventoried properties throughout Boston, but not all buildings and resources have been surveyed. Our inventory is continually being updated. Most BLC survey forms are available online through the Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System (MACRIS) database and are a good source of building history.
We created a guide to help with researching your property. While BLC staff cannot perform research for constituents, we are happy to assist you in how to use research tools to uncover sources of information about historic significance.
We worked closely with Environment Department colleagues to create the Resilient Historic Buildings Design Guide about retrofitting historic buildings to address climate change. Check more of our resources about energy efficiency and repairing wood windows.
- Resilient Historic Design Guide, August 2018 City of Boston
- Renew Boston - save energy and money at home
- Greenovate Boston - get involved in climate action
- National Park Service: Energy Efficiency and Weatherization
- National Park Service Guidelines on Sustainability for Historic Buildings, 2011
- National Trust for Historic Preservation and Sustainability