Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District
UPDATE: As of October 1, 2021 the Boston Landmarks Commission and the nine historic districts will only accept online applications using our online portal. Paper applications are no longer accepted.
The Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District Commission (AACDC) meets on the second Thursday of each month to review exterior alterations. Interested in becoming a commissioner? Please see details about nomination in the district's Study Report and check the commission information section at the bottom of this page. If you see an "apply online" button, we have an opening on the commission and you're able to apply for it.
DESIGN REVIEW PROCESS
All proposed exterior work visible from a public way is subject to the review of the AACDC.
- To save time and costs, review the district Standards and Criteria early in the planning process.
- Review all instructions and documentation requirements before submitting your application to ensure it is complete. Incomplete applications will not be added to a public hearing agenda.
- Submit your application online well in advance of a filing deadline in case additional or revised information is needed.
- Staff won't be able to review applications for completeness immediately upon submittal.
- Do not begin any work, or buy materials, until after confirmation that your project was approved by the Commission.
The Aberdeen section of Brighton (annexed by Boston in 1873) was developed after 1887, with a high degree of architectural unity. The trolley line along Beacon Street helped Aberdeen develop as a “Romantic Suburb” of free-standing residential buildings. The large, ornate houses built along winding roads that follow the land’s natural contours, were intended for Boston commuters on the newly electrified trolley system. Aberdeen’s architectural styles include the Colonial Revival, Georgian Revival, Queen Anne, and Shingle styles.
For further historical background, please check out the Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District Study Report.
Get updates about events and hearings.
- Archeology Department
- Archives Department
- Boston Public Library
- Boston Planning and Development Agency
- Brighton/Allston Historic Society
- Community Preservation Act
- Disabilities Commission
- Environment Department
- Fire Department
- Inspectional Services Department
- Language and Communications Access
- Neighborhood Services
- Parks & Recreation Department
- Public Works Department
- Transportation Department
- Zoning Board of Appeals
- AACDC January 2020
- AACDC February 2020
- AACDC March 2020
- AACDC April 2020
- AACDC May 2020
- AACDC June 2020
- AACDC July 2020
- AACDC August 2020
- AACDC September 2020
- AACDC October 2020
- AACDC November 2020
- AACDC December 2020
2021 meeting minutes
2020 meeting minutes
AACDC 2021 recordings
AACDC 2020 recordings