Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District
The Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District Commission (AACDC) meets on the second Thursday of each month to review exterior alterations. Interested in becoming a commissioner? Please see details about nomination in the district's Study Report and check the commission information section at the bottom of this page. If you see an "apply online" button, we have an opening on the commission and you're able to apply for it.
DESIGN REVIEW PROCESS
All proposed exterior work visible from a public way is subject to the review of the AACDC.
- To save time and costs, review the district Standards and Criteria early in the planning process.
- Review all instructions and documentation requirements before submitting your application to ensure it is complete. Incomplete applications will not be added to a public hearing agenda.
- Submit your application online well in advance of a filing deadline in case additional or revised information is needed.
- Staff won't be able to review applications for completeness immediately upon submittal.
- Do not begin any work, or buy materials, until after confirmation that your project was approved by the Commission.
The Aberdeen section of Brighton (annexed by Boston in 1873) was developed after 1887, with a high degree of architectural unity. The trolley line along Beacon Street helped Aberdeen develop as a “Romantic Suburb” of free-standing residential buildings. The large, ornate houses built along winding roads that follow the land’s natural contours, were intended for Boston commuters on the newly electrified trolley system. Aberdeen’s architectural styles include the Colonial Revival, Georgian Revival, Queen Anne, and Shingle styles.
For further historical background, please check out the Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District Study Report.
2022 meeting minutes
2022 meeting minutes
AACDC 2023 recordings
AACDC 2022 recordings
- January 2022
- February 2022
- March 2022
- April 2022
- May 2022
- June 2022
- July 2022
- August 2022
- September 2022
- October 2022
- November 2022
- December 2022
Department:Energy, Environment and Open Space