Mayor's Youth Council
The Mayor’s Youth Council connects youth to civic participation in government. Members are appointed by Mayor Walsh to connect, engage, and empower Boston’s diverse youth population.
To be part of the Mayor’s Youth Council, you only have to meet two requirements:
- you must be entering 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade (or comparable age if you’re not currently in school) when you apply, and
- you must be a resident of the City of Boston.
Applications for the 2019-2020 school year are now open! The application will be open from March 25 until May 1.
Benefits of the Mayor's Youth Council
- Increases voter participation from younger demographics.
- Connects youth to city government.
Builds a youth's network with youth leaders from across the city.
- Educates youth about the civic process.
- Encourages youth to prioritize social change and justice.
The Public Health and Safety Committee's goal is to:
advocate for the health of Boston’s residents, and
create initiatives, programs, and policies around youth violence intervention, and prevention.
The Education Committee's goal is to:
- increase youth access to educational resources, and
- creating and supporting initiatives in education through programming and advocacy.
The Art & Culture Committee's goal is to:
- improve youth access to Boston’s art community, and
- engage young people in cultural programs, events, and experiences.
The Civic Engagement Committee's goal is to:
- create opportunities for Boston youth to engage in local government, and
- encourage youth participation in City government by connecting youth to civic projects and initiatives.
The Workforce and Economic Development Committee goal is to:
- increase access to youth jobs, and
- connect youth to job training, economic opportunities, and financial literacy.
The Youth Lead the Change Committee goal is to:
- expand youth participation in city government
- include youth voice in the City's budgetary decision-making process, and
- increase voter turnout by exposing young people to voting on City capital projects.
Cristalle De Jesus
William Henry Harney V
Melvin Zapata Mendez
Bermina Marseille Chery
Mila Contreras Godfrey
Raynise A. Charles
Andrew M. Lavin
Cherish Lamar- Smith
Ngoc Bich Nguyen
Veronica Tai-Padron Dawson
Kalel A. Mullings