Asthma information for healthcare and school providers
Find tools and information for school and healthcare providers below.
Is their home making their asthma worse?
- The living environment has an impact on making asthma better or worse.
- The free asthma home visiting program can help identify ways to make a healthy home.
Two free home-based services
Refer your patients to BPHC's 2 FREE home-based asthma services (Boston residents only). Help your patients keep their asthma under control.
Asthma Home Visit referral
1. Ask patients questions to see if something in the home might be making their asthma worse
- Overuse of rescue medication
- More than one course of oral corticosteroids in the last 6 months
- Repeated ER visits in the last 6 months
- Hospital admission for asthma exacerbation in the last year
- Need help with administering medication
2. Refer them to our Two Free Asthma Home Visit Services
Trained community health workers provide home visits to help Boston families address asthma. These visits identify conditions and triggers in the home. Home referrals provide:
- Help understanding asthma, medications, and how to use them medication
- Help following the Asthma Action Plan
- Educational materials and health services materials
Breathe Easy Home referral
Substandard housing conditions may trigger a child's asthma. Medical professionals can refer patients for free home inspections. This program is available to Boston renters only.
Issues in the home may need a landlord to resolve. Issues can include:
- Pests (rodents, roaches)
- Holes where pests can enter
- Broken plumbing