Guide to business certification requirements
Through the information below, you can find out:
- what type of business certifications you qualify for, and
- what documents you need to include in your application.
Eligibility criteria / required documentsEligibility criteria / required documents
- Must be an independent business
- Gross receipts, when averaged over a three-year period, do not exceed gross income limitations for that particular industry, as defined by the Small Local Business Enterprise Office.
- Must be an independent business which is a Small Business Enterprise, as defined above
- Main office must be physically located in the City of Boston, as defined by the SLBE certification regulations
- Must have a Certification Letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Must be a business organization beneficially owned by one or more minority group members as follows:
- The business must be at least 51% beneficially owned by minority group members.
- The minority owners must show that they have control over management.
- The firm has not been solely established for the purpose of taking advantage of a special program which has been developed to help minority-owned businesses.
Must be an independent business organization which is beneficially owned by one or more women as follows:
- The business must be at least 51% beneficially owned by a woman.
- The woman owner must show that she has control over management.
- The firm has not been solely established for the purpose of taking advantage of a special program which has been developed to help woman-owned businesses.
BY TYPE OF CERTIFICATIONAll certifications
- Copies of full Federal Tax Returns from the last three (3) years, OR as many years as you've been in business if less than three (3) years
- If your business has not yet filed a Federal Tax Return, please include a financial statement, including balance sheet and income statements
- Current resumes for your company’s principal stakeholders showing relevant experience
- Documentation of how owners acquired the business. Please provide at least one (1) of the following:
- Canceled check
- Bank receipt
- Stock certificate
- Loan agreement
- Government issued form of identification for each business owner such as a driver's license, passport, passport card or birth certificate
- Certification Letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
BY TYPE OF BUSINESSCorporations
- Articles of Incorporation and all amendments thereto
- Corporation By-Laws and amendments thereto
- Business Certificate from your local City Clerk’s Office
- Partnership agreement, including buy-out rights and profit sharing agreement
- Articles of Organization
- Operating Agreement (if applicable)
- Federal Tax Exempt Form 501 c(3)
- Articles of incorporation and all amendments thereto
- List of Board of Directors or Trustees and ethnic and gender affiliation of each Board or Trustee member