Before you get started
Our grants are for organizations and projects that benefit the public. We give groups and individuals money for either general operating expenses or project costs depending on their budget size. The largest amount we’ll award is $5,000. We’ll match up to half the cost of your project.
You have one year from the date we approve you to finish your project and get the grant money from us. If you get denied, you can only ask us to consider you again if we violated the review process. You have two weeks to submit your request in writing.
You can apply for the grant for the following art categories:
- film and video
- folk and traditional art
- visual art
- literary arts
- performance or time-based arts
- social and civic practices, and
- multi-disciplinary arts.
Keep in Mind
Your application must be submitted online by October 16, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. We won’t take late applications. We'll let you know if we plan to give you the grant in January.
As you prepare to apply, please remember these important dates:
- September 1: We publish the grant guidelines and application for that year.
- September 14: Grant Info Session 1 will be held at the Codman Square Branch of the Boston Public Library from 6-8 p.m.
- September 23: Grant Info Session 2 will be held at the Commonwealth Salon of the Boston Public Library Central Branch from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- October 4: Grant Info Session 3 will be held at the Connolly Branch of the Boston Public Library from 12-2 p.m.
- October 16: Applications are due at 11:59 p.m.
- November - December: We will hold voting meetings that are open to the public. Times, dates, and locations will be posted once they have been scheduled.
- January: We will publish the grant award winners.