Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) provides high quality programs and services for Boston’s girls. G.I.R.L.S. helps Boston’s girls meet their full potential through programs that meet their interests and needs. G.I.R.L.S. meets girls’ needs in an empowering, supportive, and welcoming environment. We want all girls to become healthy, strong, self-confident, and successful women. BCYF girls' programming is inclusive of girls of all ages, interests, and backgrounds.G.I.R.L.S. programming includes:
- BCYF Girls' Nights
- BCYF Girls’ Leadership Corps
- Annual Girls Summit
- Youth Trainings
- Staff Professional Development
- Girls Only Program Time: designated times and spaces set aside for girls programming.
BCYF Girls' Nights are designed by and for girls between the ages of 12 and 18, with some events for younger girls. Girls' Nights are fun and positive events. At the events, girls learn about resources and opportunities. They also encourage self-awareness and a sense of unity.
Most Girls' Nights include a facilitated discussion about topics affecting today’s girls. Events include citywide events and fun-filled activities at BCYF community centers. Follow @BCYFcenters for updates.
- Girls Summer Kick-off - Beauties and the Beach at BCYF Curley
Thursday, July 11, 5 - 8 p.m. All ages
- Franklin Park Zoo
Saturday, July 13, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. All Ages
- Rock Climbing and BBQ at BCYF Menino
Wednesday, July 17, 4 - 7 p.m. Ages 10-17
- Boston Bowl
Tuesday, July 23, 4 - 7 p.m. All Ages
Tuesday, July 30, 5 p.m. Ages 7 and older
- LipSync & Dance Battle at BCYF Perkins Community Center
Tuesday, August 6, 5 - 8 p.m. All Ages
- New England Aquarium
Saturday, August 10, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. All Ages
- Laser Quest
Tuesday, August 13, 5 - 8 p.m. Ages 6 and older
- JP Licks Ice Cream Social
Tuesday, August 20, 4 - 6 p.m. All Ages
- End of Summer Party at Chez Vous with Boston Police District B3!
Friday, August 23, 5 - 8 p.m. All Ages
Applications for summer 2019 are now closed.
The BCYF Girls' Leadership Corps (GLC) is for girls ages 12 - 14. GLC takes place during the summer.
- take part in personal and leadership development workshops
- learn to establish positive and healthy lifestyle goals
- build essential skills and confidence to become successful and independent women
- develop and support girls programming
- lead community service projects, and
- engage other young women in workshops to address issues facing young women.
Learn about our leaders
Kesanet and Samari were our summer 2018 Girls Leadership Corp supervisors. From program planning to empowering girls, they were incredible leaders and mentors and a welcome part of the BCYF family.
Kesanet told us how great it was to guide the girls in building trust and bonding within the group. Samari shared the joy of exposing the girls to new experiences and ideas and watching them grow.
BCYF G.I.R.L.S. facilitates training opportunities for both youth and staff. Trainings address issues that concern girls and women in Boston.Partners providing training include, among others:
- Girls’ LEAP
- Girls Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, and
- Big Sister Association of Greater Boston.
- interventions for violence perpetrated against women by men or by other women
- trauma response and sensitivity
- teen pregnancy
- healthy relationships
- exploitation prevention, and
- sports-based youth development focused on girls.
The BCYF G.I.R.L.S. Initiative is grateful to receive support from the Shannon Grant, Foundation for BCYF, Lingzi Lu Foundation, and Boston Police Athletic League.