Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) provides high quality programs and services for Boston’s girls. G.I.R.L.S. helps Boston’s girls meet their full potential through programs that meet their interests and needs. G.I.R.L.S. meets girls’ needs in an empowering, supportive, and welcoming environment. We want all girls to become healthy, strong, self-confident, and successful women. BCYF girls' programming is inclusive of girls of all ages, interests, and backgrounds.G.I.R.L.S. programming includes:
- BCYF Girls' Nights
- BCYF Girls’ Leadership Corps
- Annual Girls Summit
- Youth Trainings
- Staff Professional Development
- Girls Only Program Time: designated times and spaces set aside for girls programming.
BCYF Girls' Nights are designed by and for girls between the ages of 12 and 18, with some events for younger girls. Girls' Nights are fun and positive events. At the events, girls learn about resources and opportunities. They also encourage self-awareness and a sense of unity.
Most Girls' Nights include a facilitated discussion about topics affecting today’s girls. Events include citywide events and fun-filled activities at BCYF community centers.
BCYF Girls Summer Kick Off
Beauties and the Beach
BCYF Curley Community Center, South Boston
All ages: 4 - 7 p.m.
Franklin Park Zoo, Dorchester
All ages: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Rock Climbing and BBQ
BCYF Menino Community Center, Roslindale
Ages 10-17: 5 - 7 p.m.
Boston Bowl, Dorchester
All ages: 4 - 7 p.m.
Codzilla (NEW), Downtown
Ages 7 and up : 4:15 p.m.
Lip Sync Battle
BCYF Perkins Community Center, Dorchester
All ages: 5 - 7 p.m.
New England Aquarium, Downtown
All ages : 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Ice Cream Social
JP Licks, Mission Hill
All ages: 4 - 6 p.m.
End of Summer Party!
Skate Night in partnership with Boston Police District B3
Chez Vous, Dorchester
All ages: 6 - 8 p.m.
For information on accessibility for a specific event, please contact Erika.Butler@boston.gov.
Applications for summer 2018 are now closed. Please check back in spring of 2019 for summer 2019 program information and application dates.
The BCYF Girls' Leadership Corps (GLC) is for girls ages 12 - 14. GLC takes place during the summer.
Leadership Corps members:
take part in personal and leadership development workshops
learn to establish positive and healthy lifestyle goals
- build essential skills and confidence to become successful and independent women
- develop and support girls programming
- lead community service projects, and
- engage other young women in workshops to address issues facing young women.
BCYF G.I.R.L.S. facilitates training opportunities for both youth and staff. Trainings address issues that concern girls and women in Boston.Partners providing training include, among others:
- Girls’ LEAP
- Girls Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, and
- Big Sister Association of Greater Boston.
- interventions for violence perpetrated against women by men or by other women
- trauma response and sensitivity
- teen pregnancy
- healthy relationships
- exploitation prevention, and
- sports-based youth development focused on girls.
The BCYF G.I.R.L.S. Initiative is grateful to receive support from the Shannon Grant, Foundation for BCYF, Lingzi Lu Foundation, and Boston Police Athletic League.