Community Health Education Center
CHEC provides standardized training for CHWs. It has a network of more than 2,000 CHWs working in different communities. CHEC's core competency and supervisory training are nationally recognized. They set the standard for CHW professional development in Massachusetts.
Establish community outreach and health education work as a valued practice within public health. Provide education, training programs, professional development, and opportunities. CHEC supports the creation and advancement of national and state standards.
The following core principles guide CHEC’s programs:
- Validate the strategic role of community health workers. CHWs play a strategic role in building healthier communities and eliminating health disparities. As members of the communities they serve, they have a first-hand understanding of the complexity and scope of health equity.
- Build on CHW's knowledge and skills. The CHEC draws on CHW's diverse experiences to increase their knowledge of health topics, strengthen their job skills, and promote culturally-appropriate methods of service and delivery in the community and especially to underserved populations.
- Use methods appropriate for adult learners. An adult learner approach prepares CHWs for real-world situations, clients, and experiences. This approach reinforces that CHWs are active, visible role models in their communities. They guide community members to positive, healthier lives and improve their own skills and capacity for learning.
- Engage CHWs in all aspects of our program. CHEC includes CHWs in planning, implementation, and assessment of its training program, professional development, and networking activities. CHW input ensures that the program meets their needs and their community’s needs. It also ensures the program values and validates cultural and ethnic experiences of its participants.
- Promote cohesiveness among CHWs as a community-based public health network. CHEC’s networking forum nurtures a CHW's developing identity as a valuable member of a professional group with common aspirations and challenges.
Meet the staff
Networking and Professional Development
Get CHEC's training calendar, newtorking forums and monthly newletter