Legacy Business Program
We believe that by highlighting these businesses through this program can help turn our neighborhoods into destinations. We want to drive spending and pedestrian traffic into local commercial districts. Businesses like these are neighborhood institutions that have helped to shape the construct of our city. With increased visibility, our goal is to ensure that these legacy businesses can:
- avoid displacement
- grow their influence
- keep residents employed, and
- enrich the cultural vibrancy of the City of Boston.
How to Nominate a Business
To be designated as a Legacy Business, it must meet the following criteria:
- It is a business that has operated for at least 10 years in the same location in Boston.
- It is a business that contributes to the cultural, historical, and societal asset of Boston’s community or neighborhood. For example, the business is located in the Little Saigon cultural district.
- It is a business that commits to maintaining its operations in the City once officially designated.
Community Nomination Process
On September 6, 2022, online and paper forms will be made publicly available for residents to nominate their favorite local eligible business. We'll work with City departments and the City Council to spread the word and encourage community participation.