October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Breast cancer is an epidemic that continues to be a major health crisis in the United States. More than 12 percent of women in the United States will develop breast cancer, and more than 40,000 die from it every year. This condition, once diagnosed, can be overwhelming and frightening for victims and their families. This month, we at the Employee Assistance Program want to highlight different educational and health resources, as well as local charity events and ways to contribute in the community to assist those fighting this deadly chronic illness.
- Mass General Hospital's website highlights the symptoms of breast cancer, the course of diagnosis, and treatment options.
- The Ellie Fund is a charity based out of Needham that provides information and assistance to those suffering from Breast cancer. Be sure to check the upcoming charity concerts on October 4, 5, and 6 to support this cause.
- The Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition is a nonprofit dedicated to education and prevention-based advocacy. Please explore the site for information and resources. This month, they are hosting a party for prevention.
- You can view a list online of other Breast Cancer Awareness events in the Boston area.
For breast cancer treatment and screening, listed below are several major hospital services in the Boston area:
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Mass General Hospital Cancer Center
- Beth Israel Breast Care Center
- St. Elizabeth’s Breast Care Center
- BMC Belkin Breast Care Center
- Tufts Breast Health Care Center
Have a healthy and happy October!