The Opportunity Fund aims to support artists in activities that continue their education and skill building, or helps them share their work or teach others. Also, teachers may use this fund for field trips. This is a pilot program and our guidelines will be evolving.
Guidelines and application
Applicants can request up to $1,000. You can apply to the Opportunity Fund every month.
The application is open for the first two weeks of every month. But, dates are subject to change depending on the month.Who is eligible?
- An artist living or working in the City of Boston (preference will be given to Boston residents).
- A teacher at a school located in Boston.
- A teaching artist offering workshops in a Boston Public Library, BCYF Center, senior housing or senior center, or non-profit social service agency.
Current Boston Artists in Residence are not eligible to apply.
- We don't accept applications in a few months during the year when other Boston Cultural Council grant applications are due.
- You can only be awarded a grant from the Opportunity Fund once a year.
This grant will fund specific needs, such as materials for workshops and projects that benefit the community. You can fund professional development costs, conference fees, and some domestic travel related to professional development. Eligible expenses also include stipends for teaching artists, field trips, or various things that help you share your work with the public.
Grant funds cannot be used for staff salaries or benefits, per diems, or incidental expenses incurred during the conference/professional development experience, and cannot be used to buy materials for personal work, such as clay or a new camera.Application
Learn more about the fund — and apply — on our application page: