Walking Tour of the South End Landmark District
Originally marshland bisected by a narrow strip of land called The Neck (now Washington Street), the South End consists of historic residential blocks, parks, and main thoroughfares with commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings. The marsh was filled, and in 1850 real estate speculators started building fashionable, single-family rowhouses. Restrictions on building size and materials meant residential structures in long uniform rows, resulting in remarkable visual unity throughout the area. After the Financial Panic of 1873, the most wealthy Bostonians moved to the brand new Back Bay. For further historical background please see South End Landmark District Study Report.