BCYF Camp Joy
Camp Joy’s success is due to qualified and dedicated staff. Our structured and enriching programs:
- promote peer-to-peer socialization
- foster individual growth and development, and
- connect participants and their families to new opportunities and valuable community resources.
BCYF Camp Joy is now accepting applications for Summer 2019:
The Camp Joy Summer Program is a four-week, day-long summer camp program. This program is available to Boston residents with disabilities, ages 3 - 22, and their siblings, ages 3 - 7.
Camp Joy provides an inclusive and supportive environment. Participants receive a nutritious breakfast and lunch. We also offer door-to-door transportation, eliminating barriers to services. Each BCYF Camp Joy site has a licensed nurse. All program staff are professionally trained and CPR certified.
Youth in the Camp Joy Summer Program take part in activities that encourage peer-to-peer interaction, such as:
- group games
- adaptive sports and gym time
- arts and crafts, and
- field trips to local sites, including the zoo and bowling alleys.
The Camp Joy Winter Program runs from October to March. The program takes place Saturdays, from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., for 15 weeks. This program is available to residents with disabilities between the ages of 8 and 22.
- swimming in BCYF’s indoor pools
- social activities including pizza parties and group games, and
- field trips to recreational, cultural, and educational institutions.
- October 20, 2018: Getting to know each other Pizza Party
- October 27, 2018: Swimming
- November 3, 2018: Swimming
- November 10, 2018: CLOSED
- November 17, 2018: Swimming
- November 24, 2018: CLOSED
- December 1, 2018: Swimming
- December 8, 2018: Boston Bowl
- December 15, 2018: CLOSED
- December 22, 2018: CLOSED
- December 29, 2018: CLOSED
- January 5, 2019: Swimming
- January 12, 2019: Swimming
- January 19, 2019: CLOSED
- January 26, 2019: Boston Bowl
- February 2, 2019: Swimming
- February 9, 2019: AMC Movie Tentative
- February 16, 2019: CLOSED
- February 23, 2019: CLOSED
- March 2, 2019: Swimming
- March 9, 2019: Boston Bowl
- March 16, 2019: CLOSED
- March 23, 2019: Swimming
- March 30, 2019: Last Day Celebration
Meet David, a/k/a 'Peter Parker,' a Longtime Camp Joy Participant
On a recent Saturday, fresh from an hour of fun in the pool with the BCYF Camp Joy Winter Program, sixteen-year-old David sat down on a couch in the teen center. He has been coming to Camp Joy’s summer and winter programs for many years. He introduces himself as David Gonzalez, Jr. but he’d prefer to be called “Peter Parker,” the real name of Spider-Man, because he is very into superheroes. His love for them began with the Powerpuff Girls, a children’s cartoon, when he was younger, and has since grown to encompass most if not all superheroes. But his favorite by far is Spider-Man.