BCYF Camp Joy
Camp Joy’s success is due to qualified and dedicated staff. Our structured and enriching programs:
- promote peer-to-peer socialization
- foster individual growth and development, and
- connect participants and their families to new opportunities and valuable community resources.
Meet David, a/k/a 'Peter Parker,' a Longtime Camp Joy Participant
On a recent Saturday, fresh from an hour of fun in the pool with the BCYF Camp Joy Winter Program, sixteen-year-old David sat down on a couch in the teen center. He has been coming to Camp Joy’s summer and winter programs for many years. He introduces himself as David Gonzalez, Jr. but he’d prefer to be called “Peter Parker,” the real name of Spider-Man, because he is very into superheroes. His love for them began with the Powerpuff Girls, a children’s cartoon, when he was younger, and has since grown to encompass most if not all superheroes. But his favorite by far is Spider-Man.
The Camp Joy Winter Program runs three Saturdays a month from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. for 15 weeks from November to March. This program is available to residents with disabilities between the ages of 8 and 22.
Camp Joy Winter Program activities include:
- swimming in BCYF’s indoor pools
- social activities including pizza parties and group games, and
- field trips to recreational, cultural, and educational institutions.
The Camp Joy Summer Program is a four-week day-long summer camp program. This program is available to Boston residents with disabilities, ages 3 - 22, and their siblings ages 3 - 7.
Camp Joy provides an inclusive and supportive environment. Participants receive a nutritious breakfast and lunch. We also offer door-to-door transportation, eliminating barriers to services. Each BCYF Camp Joy site has a licensed nurse. All program staff are professionally trained and CPR certified.
Youth in the Camp Joy Summer Program take part in activities that encourage peer-to-peer interaction, such as:
- group games
- adaptive sports and gym time
- arts and crafts, and
- field trips to local sites like the zoo and activities like bowling.