Youth Lead the Change
The Mayor’s Youth Council runs this process and shares rule-making authority with youth organizations across the City.
Everyone is welcome to propose project ideas, no matter how old you are or where you live.
We hold public events to collect ideas throughout the City, plus smaller “pop-up” discussions in classes, after-school programs, clubs, and public spaces like T stops, malls, and supermarkets. You will also be able to submit your ideas online and through social media.
You can request translation and interpretation services from the button requesting our team to come to you to collect ideas.
You can vote to decide what gets funded if:
- you live in Boston, and
- are 12 – 25 years old.
You can only vote once. Voting locations will be at schools and T stations across Boston. If you are a Boston Public Schools (BPS) student, you can vote online. After the vote, Mayor Walsh will announce the winning projects and assign projects to a City department with a dedicated project manager.
2017 projects you can vote for:
- BPS Renovations: New lockers for Brighton High School.
- Cultural Street Art and Latin American Walk of Fame: This project would create cultural street art and a walk of fame.
- Homelessness Resources: A digital billboard displaying resources and job opportunities available to the homeless youth.
- Mobilizing Health Centers: A truck or car that provides medical materials and some outpatient services to youth.
- New Trash and Recycling Bins.
- Future Media Center: A space that would contain recent technology that would otherwise be unavailable to most students.
- Get Home Safely: Students returning home from school and work would be provided with safe travel provided by police call poles.
- Performing and Visual Arts Center: A space where people of all ages can come together and create all types of art.
- The "Get Hired" Truck: A resource truck devoted to provide youth with the ability to search for jobs, build and modify resumes, and give them access to search and apply for jobs.
- Mobile Youth Retail Space: A mobile retail space for youth entrepreneurs.
Voting at MBTA Stations:
Voting will take place 1:30-4 p.m.
June 2 - Roxbury Crossing Station, Mission Hill
June 5 - JFK Station, Dorchester
June 6 - Copley Station
June 7 - Forest Hills, Jamaica Plain
June 8 - Roslindale Village Station
June 9 - Ruggles Station, Roxbury
June 12 - Downtown Crossing and Boston Common
June 13 - Ashmont Station, Dorchester
June 14 - Maverick Station, East Boston
- June 15 - Orient Heights, East Boston
Voting at Boston Public Schools:
Voting will take place during school hours.
June 2 - Boston Community Leadership Academy/New Mission High School
June 5 - Madison Park Vocational/Technical High School /O’Bryant School of Mathematics and Science
June 6 - Brighton High School
June 7 - Burke High School
June 8 - Snowden High School
June 9 - Boston Latin School
June 12 - East Boston High School
June 13 - Urban Science Academy /West Roxbury Academy
June 14 - Boston Latin Academy
- June 15 - Boston International High School
|New sidewalks for new parks (2014)||$110,000||Complete|
|Security cameras at Dr. Loesch Family Park (2014)||$105,000||Complete|
|Paris St. extreme makeover (2014)||$100,000||Complete|
|Techknowledge - Chromebooks for high schools (2014)||$90,000||Complete|
|Franklin Park Playground upgrade (2014)||$453,000||Complete|
|Skate park feasibility study (2014)||$50,000||In progress|
|Boston art walls (2014)||$60,000||In progress|
|Wicked Free WiFi for students (2015)||$119,000||In progress|
|Water bottle refill stations (2015)||$260,000||In progress|
|Boston Latin Academy gym renovation (2015)||$475,000||In progress|
|Hubway expansion (2015)||$101,600||Complete|
|More trash cans and recycling bins (2016)||$80,000||In progress|
|Job and resource finder app (2016)||$135,000||In progress|
|Parks are for everyone (2016)||$500,000||In progress|
|Wicked Free WiFi 3.0 (2016)||$150,000||In progress|
|Link Up: digital billboards in schools (2016)||$100,000||In progress|
|Sunshine and books (2016)||$25,000||In progress|