Mattapan Square Main Street Inc. (MSMS) is a volunteer-driven, community-based organization
working to attract and enhance public and private investments in the commercial district and foster
community spirit and collaboration in Mattapan, Boston's cultural gateway. We are seeking a dynamic
and creative leader with a strong work ethic, proven leadership, and community-building skills,
combined with effective communication and organization.
Reporting to the MSMS Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day
operations and assisting in the long-term planning for Boston Main Streets (BMS), encouraging and
facilitating business development in the neighborhood, fundraising, event planning, communications,
and grant writing. Must be able to manage time and prioritize tasks, and have flexibility with work
schedules, including nights and weekends.
• Provide MSMS and Boston Main Streets core portfolio of services to Mattapan's small businesses
• Develop and maintain relationships with all merchants, commercial property owners, and neighborhood
associations, in and around Mattapan, as well as pertinent City departments, elected officials, funders, and
• Serve as liaison between Boston Main Streets, property and business owners, and elected officials.
• Connect business and commercial property owners with resources and promotional opportunities and
assist with storefront improvement projects.
• Direct fundraising efforts with assistance from the Board of Directors, including special events and grant
• Oversees the grant application process for Main Street related projects.
• Manage all aspects of the Main Street program, including correspondence, purchasing, record keeping,
and budget development as set forth by the Board of Directors with oversight from the Board Treasurer.
• Manage all publicity and communications for MSMS and serve as communications and promotions
resource for businesses, taking advantage of social networking and traditional media.
• Event coordination of MSMS’ fundraising and community engagement events; develop, maintain, and
promote events relevant to support district small businesses.
• Volunteer Recruitment and Management; maintain, grow, and utilize local volunteer base
• Coordinate and provide administrative support to volunteer Boards and Committees.
• Serve as the organization’s point of contact to the media.
• Oversee organization’s website and social media channels.
• 5 years experience required in one or more of the following areas: community development,
business economic development, marketing, architecture/historic design, fundraising and special
event planning, non-profit management, business administration, and/or volunteer management.
• Energetic self-starter who can balance a variety of responsibilities and projects simultaneously while
• Ability to think creatively to develop projects and strategies that fit the needs of the organization,
local merchants, and community.
• Well-developed communication skills, both written and oral; public speaking at events required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; able to communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds and
diverse work environments. Must demonstrate cultural sensitivity and competency.
• Strong administrative, planning, and organizational skills.
• Technical proficiencies include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and QuickBooks or
other bookkeeping software. Basic bookkeeping required.
• Website/desktop publishing preferred, and social media skills required.
• Access to a vehicle preferred but not required.
• Bilingual skills a plus.
• Bachelor's degree preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
$55,000, plus benefits, and possible bonus depending on fundraising.
HOW TO APPLY
E-mail resume and cover letter to:
Subject Line – MSMS Executive Director Search
Application deadline: April 15, 2022, by 5:00 pm
Mattapan Square Main Streets is an Equal Opportunity Employer