Healthcare and life sciences
Boston’s innovation economy is thriving, with leaders from government, industry, the nonprofit sector and academia engaged in making the City a place where life sciences and other companies want to start, stay, and grow.
- The Boston area is home to 25 hospitals and 20 community health centers.
- The Longwood Medical Area represents a world-class health epicenter. There are more than 46,000 scientists, researchers, and staff, and over 21,000 students studying at institutions and hospitals.
- Boston has received the most N.I.H. funding of any U.S. city for 21 consecutive years.
- Boston's healthcare and social assistance industries account for over 18% of total employment. Five of the ten largest employers are hospitals.
- There are more than 12,000 life sciences jobs in Boston across research, development, and manufacturing.
- Boston boasts over 120 Health IT and Digital Health companies.