We Are Boston
We Are Boston is annual initiative by the Mayor's Office for Immigrant Advancement (MOIA) that celebrates immigrants and immigrant contributions to Boston. We also give out grants funded by corporate sponsorships. This year's We Are Boston includes:
- A reception on May 19 to launch Immigrant Heritage Month and recognize nonprofits that tirelessly and innovatively serve immigrant communities
- A workshop on May 19 for community leaders to give input on the future of Boston through the lens of immigrants
- $160,000 in grants for wellness and multicultural community building in immigrant communities
- Events during Immigrant Heritage Month in June for residents and families to get more connected to immigrant communities in Boston - Find our partners and free events in the table below.
Immigrant Heritage Month Events
Applications for our Weaving Well-being Grants closed on May 4, 2023. Boston nonprofits applied for $160,000 in grants to support mental health programming and to host events during Immigrant Heritage Month in June.
To enhance the well-being of immigrants in Boston, destigmatize mental health challenges, and encourage non-clinical, culturally and linguistically sensitive practices as a form of therapy, the Mayor's Office for Immigrant Advancement is pleased to announce a second round of Weaving Well-being Grants.
Grants vary from $3,000-$10,000, and organizations can request additional funding to host community events during Immigrant Heritage Month in June.
Since 2015, thousands of constituents have benefited from programs funded by our grants, including:
- ESOL classes
- DACA/DAPA legal screening clinics
- citizenship application assistance
- immigrant youth mentoring, and
- civic engagement classes.
These grants are made possible by the generous contributions from our annual We Are Boston Reception.
Become a sponsor
We invite you or your company to be a sponsor for We Are Boston. Sponsorship funds are given directly to immigrant-serving nonprofits in the form of grants.
Email Chief of Staff Agnes Chang (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss this opportunity. Thank you for supporting the Mayor’s Office for Immigrant Advancement. We appreciate your commitment to immigrant communities.
In addition to tickets and advertising at the reception, sponsors will be invited to a workshop with immigrant leaders and community members on advancing social justice.
We Are Boston Reception
We Are Boston 2020
From Resilience to Equity
This year's annual reception on November 19, 2020 honors frontline workers and immigrant-serving nonprofits during COVID-19 and highlights how together we can move towards equity for all residents.
We Are Boston 2022
From Dreams to Action
On March 3, 2022, Mayor Wu addresses her goals for the upcoming year and talks about how this is the time for action so immigrant dreams can become reality.
We Are Boston 2023
This reception on May 19 is to launch Immigrant Heritage Month and celebrate immigrants who show visionary courage