Need a permit for demolition work in the city?
You can apply for and obtain your permit online
Before you get started
The following items must be submitted when applying for a demolition permit:
- You must obtain an Article 85 Demolition Delay approval from the Boston Landmarks Commission. You can call 617-635-1935 or Boston.gov/landmarks. This procedure is required to ensure you are not demolishing a historic building.
- Shut off notices from all underground and overhead utilities, such as: gas, electrical, telephone and cable companies.
- The Boston Water and Sewer Commission closed general service agreement GSA. You can contact them at 617-989-7000.
- Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) approval for hazardous materials 617-292-5500
- Dig Safe reference number is required 1-888-dig-safe.
- A letter or bill from a pest control contractor stating the pest management will be performed before and after the demolition project begins.
- A licensed builder is required with supporting documents, such as: the Workers’ Compensation Form, Mattocks Higgins Affidavit, contract between parties, liability insurance, copy of your builder’s license front and back side.
- Obtain a permit from Boston Fire Prevention pertaining to the demolition you can contact them at 617-343-2188 or Boston.gov/fire prevention.
- Once the application and documents have been completed you will also need a review from our Environmental Services Division on the 4th floor here at 1010 Massachusetts Avenue, or firstname.lastname@example.org
File a short-form application online
You can get a demolition permit by filing a short-form application.
Begin the application process online
Choose removal of structure as the work type
Next upload all relevant documents listed on the checklist
If you are the property owner (one - two family only) and will be doing the work yourself, you need to fill out a homeowner waiver.
Upload Your Documents
Once approved you will receive an email requesting payment. Upon receipt of payment you can print the permit and begin work.
1010 Massachusetts Ave, 5th Floor