Need a permit for demolition work in the City? You can start the process online, but you still have to come into our office to finish your application.
Before you get started
You need to get approval from other departments before you can apply for a permit:
- Get approval from the Landmarks Commission. Learn about how to apply for an Article 85 Demolition Delay review.
- You also need to get a permit for demolition work from the Fire Department.
If you’re using hazardous materials, you need to get approval from the state Department of Environmental Protection.
File a short-form application online
You can get a demolition permit by filing a short-form application. Keep in mind that you can only start the application online. You still need to visit our office to complete the process.
Start the application process online. Choose “Demolition” as the work type. On the application, you need to give us:
- a description of your proposed work plans
- the total cost of the project
- identification and Trade Licenses for all contractors
- a copy of the signed contract between contractor and property owner, and
- a homeowner waiver if you're the property owner and will be doing the work yourself. This only applies to one- and two-family homes.
Get ready to visit our office
You have to finish the permitting process with us in person. When you visit our office, you need to:
- Pay us the total amount of the demolition cost. You can do this with a bond, an Irrevocable Letter of Credit, or a certified check. Make the check out to the City of Boston, Inspectional Services Department.
- Sign an agreement that you'll follow state building codes and the City's zoning laws.
- Give us proof that you’re working with a licensed exterminator. When you visit our office, you’ll need to schedule a pest inspection with our Environmental Sanitation Division.
- Give us shut-off notices from all underground utilities, including your gas and electric company, the Boston Water and Sewer Commissioner, and your phone and cable companies.
Bring your information to us
Please bring your documents, information, and payment to:
1010 Massachusetts Ave, 5th Floor
1010 Massachusetts Avenue
5th FloorBoston, MA 02118
Still have questions?
You can contact us at 617-635-5360.