Apply for a long-form permit at Counter 1
You have to apply for a long-form permit before you can get a foundation permit. You can start your application online, but you have to visit our office to finish the application. We also have a guide on how to apply for the long-form permit.
You can also just come to our office from the start and apply in person:
Building Division, Counter 1
1010 Massachusetts Ave. 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02210
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. We’re open until 7 p.m. on Thursdays.
Get your plans approved at Counter 2
After you apply, you'll need to bring extra documents to Counter 2. Here, we’ll review your plans and approve them.
Counter 2 is right next to Counter 1 at our offices. The hours for Counter 2 are also Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., and we’re open until 7 p.m. on Thursdays.
The documents you need to show at Counter 2 include:
- a long form permit on file with us (check the status of your permit)
- your plans, with a stamp from the Plans and Zoning Division at Counter 2
- a description of the foundation you'll be building
- a signed agreement that says you'll meet all building codes and only do the work described on your permit
- proof that you've been working with a licensed rodent control exterminator
- approval from the Boston Water Sewer Commission, and
- a fee for the permit. We'll tell you how much to pay when you visit us. You can pay with a bond, an Irrevocable Letter of Credit, or a certified check. Make the check out to the City of Boston, Inspectional Services Department.
You can contact us at 617-635-5360. If you’re still stuck, we can help you figure out everything you need for your project when you visit our office.