Apply for a long-form permit at Counter 1
You have to apply for a long-form permit before you can get a foundation permit. You can start your application online, but you have to visit our office to finish the application. We also have a guide on how to apply for the long-form permit.
You can also just come to our office from the start and apply in person:
Building Division, Counter 1
1010 Massachusetts Ave. 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02210
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. We’re open until 7 p.m. on Thursdays.
Get your plans approved at Counter 2
After you apply, you'll need to bring extra documents to Counter 2. Here, we’ll review your plans and approve them.
Counter 2 is right next to Counter 1 at our offices. The hours for Counter 2 are also Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., and we’re open until 7 p.m. on Thursdays.
The documents you need to show at Counter 2 include:
- a long form permit on file with us (check the status of your permit)
- your plans, with a stamp from the Plans and Zoning Division at Counter 2
- a description of the foundation you'll be building
- a signed agreement that says you'll meet all building codes and only do the work described on your permit
- proof that you've been working with a licensed rodent control exterminator
- approval from the Boston Water Sewer Commission, and
- a fee for the permit. We'll tell you how much to pay when you visit us. You can pay with a bond, an Irrevocable Letter of Credit, or a certified check. Make the check out to the City of Boston, Inspectional Services Department.
We're testing out suggested content on Boston.gov below. If you see anything out of place, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.