Official websites use

A website belongs to an official government organization in the City of Boston.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Heat Emergency in Boston
Mayor Wu announced a heat emergency in the City of Boston through Wednesday, July 17. Cooling centers will be open at 14 BCYF community centers Monday through Wednesday, from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

How to get a new construction permit

Last updated:

You need a permit before you can start a new construction project. Here's how to get one.


Start your application online

You need to submit an application and then visit us in person for an intake and building and zoning reviews. You can start your application through our online permitting system.

When you come to office, we will need to see:

  • the total amount of work you plan to do and how much space you will use or change in your project
  • an estimate for the total cost of your project, including labor and materials, and
  • a complete set of plans and documents stamped by a licensed professional.

Bring your information to us

You can bring all your plans and documents to:

Building Division, Counter 2
1010 Massachusetts Ave, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02118
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. The Building Division is open until 7 p.m. on Thursdays.

After your initial intake, we’ll set up meetings for your zoning and building reviews at our office.


Go to your zoning and building review

After you file your application online and visit our office, you’ll need to come back for two reviews: a zoning and a building review. We’ll let you know the time when we plan to hold your reviews.

what you need for each review:

For the zoning review, you must give us TWO copies of the following:

  • plot plans that show structures and parking areas, including setbacks and neighboring structures on all sides
  • stamped elevation plans that show the height of your building
  • stamped floor plans that show rooms and exit areas for all floors, and
  • a minimal fee letter, if it applies to you.

For the building review, you need to bring us TWO sets of each of the following:

  • structural and sprinklers plans
  • fire alarm system plans
  • electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and energy plans
  • approval stamps from the Boston Redevelopment Authority
  • compliance plans from the state Architectural Access Board
  • plans with the Boston Water and Sewer Commission
  • a signed agreement between all contractors showing the cost and total amount of work
  • current licenses for all contractors, and
  • a Home Improvement Contractor registration for one- to two-family projects.
Back to top