You need to get a permit if you want to add certain outdoor features to your land. Here’s how to get one.
Before you get started
You need a Use of Premises Permit if you want to make additions to your land, including:
- sheds and pools
- new parking areas on your property
- making space to sell Christmas trees or cars, and
- any other special use of your outdoor land.
Get your information together
Find the Use of Premises permit through our online permitting application and give us your information. You also need to bring a few documents to our office to complete your application. We'll need to see:
- a certified plot plan that shows how you'll use the land (see an example plot plan)
- a diagram for temporary structures and changes to land use or utilities, and
- an approved Curb Cut application if you'll be creating space for parking.
Give us your information
After you complete your online application, you can bring your documents and information to:
1010 Massachusetts Ave, 5th Floor
1010 Massachusetts Avenue
5th FloorBoston, MA 02118