COVID-19 information
For the latest updates, please visit our coronavirus (COVID-19) website:
City department hours
City Hall is open to the public on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. If you need to visit a department, you must make an appointment.
Back to top

How to get a use of premises permit

You need to get a permit if you want to add certain outdoor features to your land. Here’s how to get one.

Last updated:

Before you get started

You need a Use of Premises Permit if you want to make additions to your land, including:

  • sheds and pools
  • new parking areas on your property
  • making space to sell Christmas trees or cars, and
  • any other special use of your outdoor land.

Get your information together

Find the Use of Premises permit through our online permitting application and give us your information. You also need to bring a few documents to our office to complete your application. We'll need to see:

  • a certified plot plan that shows how you'll use the land (see an example plot plan)
  • a diagram for temporary structures and changes to land use or utilities, and
  • an approved Curb Cut application if you'll be creating space for parking.

Give us your information

After you complete your online application, you can bring your documents and information to:

Building Division, Counter 1
1010 Massachusetts Ave, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02118
Office hours
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. We're open until 7 p.m. on Thursdays.
Inspectional Services
1010 Massachusetts Avenue
5th Floor
Boston, MA 02118

Suggested Content

We're testing out suggested content on below. If you see anything out of place, let us know at