Official websites use

A website belongs to an official government organization in the City of Boston.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Last updated:

Street Vending General Information

We have information on required permits and licenses for street vending, as well as applicable penalties.

Hawkers and Peddlers License

Any vendor selling merchandise in Boston is required to have a Hawkers and Peddlers License. You can get this license from:

Division of Professional Licensure

One Ashburton Place

Boston, MA 02108

Hawker and Peddler License Information

Stationary Vending License

Vendors intending to sell goods on a public sidewalk or property must get a permit from:

Department of Public Works (DPW)

1 City Hall Plaza, Room 714

Boston, MA 02201

Stationary Vending Application

Use of Premises Permit

Selling goods on private property will require a Use of Premises Permit from:

Inspectional Services Department

1010 Massachusetts Ave.

Boston, MA 02118

Inspectional Services Department Permits

Massachusetts State Sanitary Code

Applicants must get a copy of the Massachusetts State Sanitary Code 105CMR590.000. These documents can be found at the:

State Bookstore

State House, Room 116

Boston, MA 02133


Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:45 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Purchase State Sanitary Code Online


If we find vendors in non-compliance of the rules and regulations governing City and state licenses and permits, they will:

  • have their merchandise confiscated, and
  • receive fines.
Back to top