Improvements to Medal of Honor Park
Medal of Honor Park is a well-loved historic park in the City Point neighborhood of South Boston.
In 1897, the park historically known as Independence Square was set aside by the City of Boston for public open space. In 1981, the first memorial honoring Vietnam Veterans in the nation was constructed at Medal of Honor Park. Each September a ceremony to rededicate the memorial is held.
Park renovation includes improvements to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial plaza, ornamental fencing along East Broadway inspired by Victorian era fence removed in 1899, new play equipment, water play, site furnishings, lawn improvements, pathway and infrastructure upgrades.
- Project status: Construction
- Construction budget: $1,335,500
- Project features: Memorial, passive use, playground, water play
- Consultant: Kyle Zick Landscape Architecture, Inc.
- Contractor: Haven Contracting
Sign up to get information on this project and other Parks programs.
Upcoming eventsUpcoming events
There are no upcoming events available at this time.
Community meetings archive
We place information on upcoming and previous meetings in the public notices section of Boston.gov.
- Medal of Honor Park Community Meeting #1 (September 29, 2015)
- Medal of Honor Park Drop-In Discussions at the park (October 14 - 15, 2015)
- Medal of Honor Park Community Meeting #3 (December 7, 2015)
- Medal of Honor Park Community Meeting #4 (March 23, 2016)