Improvements to Medal of Honor Park
Project Update (May 30, 2017): Park construction is underway and will be finishing up soon. Mayor Walsh will open the park to the community on Wednesday, June 28 at 9:30 a.m. as part of the Neighborhood Coffee Hour Series.
Medal of Honor Park is a well loved historic park in the City Point neighborhood of South Boston.
In 1897, the park historically known as Independence Square was set aside by the City of Boston for public open space. In 1981, the first memorial honoring Vietnam Veterans in the nation was constructed at Medal of Honor Park. Each September a ceremony to rededicate the memorial is held.
- Project status: Construction
- Construction budget: $1,335,500
- Project features: Memorial, passive use, playground, water play
- Consultant: Kyle Zick Landscape Architecture, Inc.
- Contractor: Haven Contracting
We place information on upcoming and previous meetings in the public notices section of Boston.gov.
- Medal of Honor Park Community Meeting #1 (September 29, 2015)
- Medal of Honor Park Drop-In Discussions at the park (October 14 - 15, 2015)
- Medal of Honor Park Community Meeting #3 (December 7, 2015)
- Medal of Honor Park Community Meeting #4 (March 23, 2016)