Back to top

How to get married in Boston

Want to get married in the City of Boston? Here’s what to do:

Last updated:

Before you get started

Any couple can get married as long as each person is 18 or older, and currently not married.

Please keep in mind

A marriage license is only good to use for 60 days in Massachusetts from the date you applied. You also can't use the marriage license outside of Massachusetts. You have to get married in the state.


Go to City Hall

You and your partner need to fill out the Marriage Intention form together at City Hall. Be prepared to each give the following information to the City:

  • valid identification (this includes passports, driver's licenses, state IDs, or military IDs)
  • your Social Security numbers (if you do not have a Social Security number, you have to write down why — for example, it was never issued or you are not a resident)
  • your legal names, and what last name you will use after marriage
  • where you both live now
  • your dates of birth and where you were born
  • the names of your parents, including maiden names, and whether or not your parents were married when you were born
  • if you were previously married, we will need to know how many times, and
  • if you were previously married, we need to know the date you were divorced or see your annulment papers.

We charge a $50 application fee. We take cash, a money order, or a debit or credit card.

Fill out your application and pay your fee at the Registry Division:

1 City Hall Square, Room 213
Boston, MA 02201-2006
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.


Wait three days

There is a three-day waiting period from when you file your Marriage Intention to when you can pick up your Marriage License:

  • If you apply on Monday, the license is available on Thursday.
  • If you apply on Tuesday, the license is available on Friday.
  • If you apply on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, your license is available on Monday morning (unless there is a holiday on Monday).

You will be given a white card with the date when you can get your license at City Hall.

If you want to waive the waiting period, a court needs to give you Marriage Without Delay Waiver to waive the waiting period. They will charge you a $195 fee. When you file your Marriage Intention form, ask us about which court you need to go to.


Pick up your marriage license

You must get the license before the wedding and give it to the person performing your ceremony. The license is only good to use for 60 days from the date you applied.

To register your marriage, the person performing your ceremony needs to complete the license and return it to the City.


Find someone to marry you

A Massachusetts minister, priest, rabbi, or justice of the peace can officiate the ceremony. You can also have a friend or family member marry you with a One-Day Marriage DesignationClergy from outside of Massachusetts can marry you as long as they get state authorization.

Want to get married at Boston City Hall? We created a separate how-to guide with that information.


Make it official

The person who performed the ceremony needs to complete the marriage license and either mail it in or return it to the City:

Registry Division
1 City Hall Square, Room 213
Boston MA  02201-2006
United States
Monday: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
Tuesday: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am-4:00 pm

Don't forget about your marriage certificate

After the wedding, if you want a copy of your marriage certificate it’s $12 in person and $14 by mail. Learn more about marriage certificates.

Need to Know:
Marriage video

We created a step-by-step guide on how to get married. You can find the video on YouTube:

Registry: Birth, death, and marriage
1 City Hall Square
Room 213
Boston MA  02201-2006
United States
Office hours

We're open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Keep in mind

Getting married after divorce

You can’t apply for a marriage license until at least one day after the divorce is final. In Massachusetts, a divorce is not considered final until after 90 days.

Check your divorce decree for the exact date your divorce is final. If you're a resident of Massachusetts and recently got divorced outside of the state, please contact us at 617-635-4175.

Domestic partnerships

If you want to file a domestic partnership, or end a domestic partnership, you need to contact the City Clerk's Office.

What if you both can’t visit City Hall?

Call us if:

  • You are a Massachusetts resident and either you or your partner are on active military duty and not in the state.
  • Special circumstances, like a hospitalization or imprisonment, prevent either you or your partner from coming to City Hall.
Watch: How to get married

Suggested Content

We're testing out suggested content on below. If you see anything out of place, let us know at